Fly Tying
Robert M

Top Ten or Must Have Redfish Flies Texas/Louisiana Coast

Can somebody pass on their top tens or just gotta carry flies for Red Drum please.

My flyboxes are whoa-fully inadequate at the moment

Got lots of clousers, seaducers and merkins what else do I need to toss in there

Can't go wrong with a spoon fly for reds anywhere. I would also add poppers

I second AGN's suggestion. Actually, in my book, you really only need three type of flies and one is optional. You need a bottom bouncer and a mid water column fly, topwater is fun as hell but optional although that is what I try throwing at them the most.

If I need a fish to eat, I use a spoon.

As for colors, don't go crazy. Find a dark color you like and a light color or if you have to, two of each. I like Black/Purple mixed and Dark Brown. For light, I like whites or tans.

Something with a little head on it is usually good on those bottom or mid-depth flies. I finish many of my flies off with ram's wool or synthetics in a dubbing loop, wrap and trim down to bullet/muddler shaped head.

Baitfish tied like that for mid-depth with no weight can be made into floaters if you coat the spun wool or synthetic with some Abolene.

Kirk

atxdiscgolfer nice flies what am I looking at craft fur shrimp? Redfish seaducer, Ep fiber baitfish?

I like spoon flies but I can't ever get them to wobble quite right any good tutorials or easy "works every time" ways to go about building them?

​I have attempted to mimic the flies Kirk sent me on several occasions but they do not act the same in the water mine are prone to spin instead of wobble.

Maybe a better question would be what sizes of flies should I go with if you are specifically targeting redfish in the gulf coast regions.

Overall fly length, hook size, weedguard thickness or type.

Robert, if you're going to run across bulls (excess of 15lbs), I like 1/0 up to 3/0. For duck pond redfish (juveniles under 15lbs), I use #1 & #2 a lot and in the fall when the little ditch minnows are on the menu, I've used a #4. Most all of my flies are under 4 inches even for the bulls although they will eat better, why go larger if you can get by with smaller and have an easier time of casting.

You should try some of the mono/wire framed epoxy spoons, they don't act as nice as the mylar ones I make but are easier to make and are plenty adequate. Just sprinkle some extra fine glitter into the topcoat of epoxy for a nice glittery/shiny spoon.

Kirk

I'm no redfish expert, but I really like Kirk's advice about keeping it simple. It doesn't take a wide variety of patterns to catch any species most of the time. Snake flies, woolly buggers and weighted bunny flies in a few sizes and colors will take any striped bass that ever lived - I can't imagine reds are a whole lot different.

Robert M- the flies are a Kwan- pretty similar to a craft fur shrimp, the The baitfish pattern is a mullet imitation tied with Metz Steve Farrar blend (similar to EP but easier to work with amd cost less), the green and white baitfish pattern is the fly that I caught my first redfish on that a guide tied - simple to tie basically just white and tan craft fur and a bead but it works

Not necessarily Texas but some good speck and red stuff: big poppers, schwimps, squibs, different types of streamers. The brite ones on the left are special for reds....

171_1141.JPGT

That is one damn fine set of flies! I would love to get a closer look at the streamer on the right with the blue back and red gills. It looks like a baby mackerel. Are the ones on the left wool heads with dumbell eyes?

The Mack's are kids wig fibers w/epoxy eyed heads striped w/marker. The red's ones have white craft fur dubbed around the lead eyes colred w/marker...some of esatz-sparkle chenille for heads w/Mylar like strips for flash. The fuzzy shrimps and squids are also craft fur dubbed w/rubber legs...

101_0903.JPG