Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GabPamgea

Stalcup's Swimming May

Hi,

here's a video instructions about one of Stalcup best flies. Hope you'll enjoy it smile.png step-by-step voice it's in italian language, but list of materials is in english....next one we'll be in international language smile.pngsmile.png sorry about that wink.png

Interesting use of wings in a wet fly. What is the history of this fly? I'm wondering what took them from winged wets with the paired wing like a greenwells glory and onto a weighted dry winged fly.

Interesting use of wings in a wet fly. What is the history of this fly? I'm wondering what took them from winged wets with the paired wing like a greenwells glory and onto a weighted dry winged fly.

Hi Piker,

I'm sorry for delay in responding. Some species of mayfly in Italy, like some Heptageniidae (Rhithrogena) hatch swimming towards the surface, and then drying the wings. We often see the trout chasing these insects moving rapidly into the river and eating them. We say that the use of this "nymph" is like a wet fly... in some situations is really deadly. The tungsten head (middle body) is usefull to make travel a little 'in depth, and then make it rise to the surface with small traction of the fly line, like an "induced take". :D :D

Cool. It should work well in Caddis hatches too where the nymph makes a rapid climb to the surface. If we ever have a summer I'll have to give it a swim.