Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Toneloc

Hex Wiggle Nymph

Thought I'd post a step by step of one of my favorite flies.

Tail Hook: Size 8 generic nymph hook

Front Hook: Tiemco 105 size 8

Tail/Wingl Material: Ginger Marabou

Body Material: Tan/Dark Grey Ostrich Herl

Back Material: Pheasant Tail dark side showing

Ribbing: Copper Wire

Eyes: Black Bead Chain

Joint: 12# Mono

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Tony

A project that no doubt brings puts a bend in the rod. I have plenty of long shank hooks that are just taking up space. They have now have new life.

Nice pictures! thanks for taking the time. How effective is this fly? How is your percentage on hook-ups? How and when do you fish this fly? These are some questions i have had about this fly that i have had scince the first time i have seen it some years ago. If you could help me out with these answers i would much appreciate it. smile.gif

Thanks Guys..

Tommy,

I use this fly for great lakes steelhead. How effective? It has worked very well, but then again Steelhead will take almost any well presented fly in the right conditions. Will it work any better than a wooly bugger in similiar colors or another one piece hex pattern? Not sure.

As far as hook ups....It seems like when fish take this fly they don't hesistate. I've got some of my deepest hook ups using flys with this pattern. They inhale it.

How to fish it? I can be bottom bounced.....dead drifted.....or even swung...

Tony

That is a great looking hex.

One questions -- how does it ride in the water? Given the placement of the bead chain eyes, I'd be concerned that it would rotate upside down.

Adams

Adams you make a good point....the pattern rides hooking point up...but maybe thats what adds to the effectiveness ...the fish might see it a wounded or disoriented prey...who knows...for the fish I use it for I'm not so sure that they are taking it because they are mistaking for a hex. I think it could be a curosity thing....or just the movement that this pattern creates. And I'd think it would get hung up more if you tied the eyes on the other side....which would cause the hook to point down. I could also see it affecting the hook sets if the hook point was oriented down. I suppose you could tie it on the other side of the hook....too much hassle for me...LOL...if aint broke don't fix it.

Tony

Toneloc-- I agree - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I love fishing hexes, and do WAY better fishing nymphs before the hatch than I ever have on emergers, spinners, or duns. I usually fish an impressionistic nymph with a rabbit strip tail that I can knock out in short order, but was thinking of tying some more realistic patterns and seeing if it made a difference during the daylight hours -- I think that the wiggle is what is the key on kex nymphs.

That really is a nice looking pattern.

Adams