Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cdnfishguy11

Orvis Clearwater Experiences?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the orvis clearwater rods? I am interested in an 8 wt. I would be using it for some warmwater fishing (larger pike and bass bugs I cant cast with 6wt) with the added benifit as being an excellent rod for winter steelhead on the great lakes.

They have a sale on the combos right now on their website, I was just curious if anyone has ever used these rods and can speak to there durability or lack there of.

If not is there something in the same price class that would be better for me? I know there is lots out there and dont want to over look anything before making my decision. But I cannot afford to spend much more as I am still a student and have lots of other things to pay for!

Thanks for the help

I have a local builder that I am very good friends with I was just thinking that the orvis rod could hold me over until I have the money to get myself a work of art!

Orvis Clearwaters are their entry level. I have an Orvis Green river combo which was an old budget Orvis, I received it like 12 years ago when the fly bug bit hard and it has served me well. The cork on the grip is pretty low grade. The components are not exactly top shelf either but it had a reel and line and I was happy. If you HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW...go ahead and buy with confidence since its a whole outfit. I have an 8 weight I am building you and a reel to match, not a top line reel but one that is as nice as any entry level stuff, if it were closer to finished I would offer it to you for about two or two and a half..somewhere in there. But alas it is a ways out from being done and not exactly a priority at the moment while I work on other things. In other words I havent ordered all the parts yet lol...

Not sure what they market as in the states but real fishing own Shakespeare and they make an 8# and a 10# Atlantic salt rod (UK name) and now a newer xt version which are great rods. Plenty of backbone and saltwater proof. Having a Clearwater 5# i would not buy another as better rods for similar price around.

I suspect it's a solid set up, they seem to stand behind all their gear great. I also love that orvis sells some of their entry level set ups to my fly tying club for a kids fly tying and fishing course. The kids get to use good gear while learning to cast and fish, and if they dont miss any of the classes over the courses length, they get to keep the set up. Orvis has helped that bonus be a part of the course by helping the club out, very cool of them.

So, I do feel like it could be a good option.

I'd not have thought of it, but that midwest customs option is not bad. I bought a 2wt this year, figuring I was looking at 180-225 and Steve got me into a custom for less than that - it's a great little rod. You may be able to do that as well for an 8... Just an option.

Will

I own several including a 8 wt that has seen use in the salt along with chasin fresh water toothies. they are fine rods.

I am an avid centerpinner and often fish the Niagara and other bigger systems with my float set up,

although a few of the smaller tribs would be awesome to drift a few drys come the fall.

Its mainly going to be a lake rod.

thanks for the suggestions everyone!