Fly Tying

Hi, black and decker makes a small food chopper, that has a curved blade similar to a food processor, would that work to make dubbing. I can take a picture if it would help thanks

Coffee grinders, and I suspect the food chopper you mention have sharp blades that will cut up some materials (especially synthetics,) into very fine powder. The object is to shred yarn back into loose fiber, and to blend different things together. You can use a wire brush to comb out yarn into fibers, before cutting into quarter to half inch lengths. Then use a blender (with water,) to stir it all up.

If you end up using a chopper, or grinder, its a good idea to dull the blades to keep from cutting your blends into fine bits.

Certainly not all coffee grinders have sharp blades. I've had two that don't. They blend dubbings every bit as well as the water method with a food blender, but you don't have to the dubbing afterwards. I have heard that they will melt some synthetics, but never had this problem occur. I don't usually blend up synthetics alone, but do blend them into natural dubbings.

With materials like seal's fur, which is often very stiff fibres, I put them through the coffee grinder to soften them.

Cheers,

C.

I use a coffee grinder

only problems I have ever had is to long of yarn tangles & masterbright turns to dust

I add the synthetic at the very last blend then hit it quick just for a second.

I think finger blend it the rest of the way.

oh I guess sometimes rabbit gets static cling seperates from the wool sticks in the lid.

once again finger blend.

There is a lot of good info in this thread. Thanks to all

Making your own dubbing is another steep slope into madness....right now I am taking my first stab at dying fur's to mix into dubbing. I have a great buggy scud dubbing mix I have been playing with, wanted some in other colors for different patterns. I have a large batch of Australian opossum fur soaking in a black fabric dye mix right now...hoping it comes out well...next comes the harder colors to get right, olives and oranges.

I just wanted to add that you can just use your fingers to mix up small batches of dubbing. If your planning on tieing 25 or more of larger sized patterns, then useing some type of grinder is easier. I have a coffee grinder, but it doesn't work for un-binding wool yarn, so I comb it out by hand first and then hand mix it, or use the grinder with other stuff to turn it into dubbing. It really doesn't take all that long to make a batch that will tie quite a lot of trout nymphs or dries. I've never had to try and mix dubbing for warm water fish since they just aren't that picky.

Regards,

Mark

I've never been accused of being overly smart, so I need a bit of help here... who or what is a "ginderto" ??

I have never been accused of that either especialy early in the morning with no coffee. It is supposed to be grinder to but when I hrry and don't check my spelling anything can happen. I caught it but to late and couldn't find an edit for the title