Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

Real side

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you real in with your right hand or left?

I personally reel in with my left when im fly fishing and cast with my right. Although when im using a spinning reel i use my right hand to real in and cast with my left.

Thanks

I reel with my right hand, but I am a left handed caster, so I don't switch hands.

REEL.

I reel with my left. I set up all my reels to have left hand retrieve. I am right hand dominant. Perhaps it was the way I was raised, but it makes absolutely no sense to cast then switch the rod to the other hand when you need to get on the reel.

All my spinning gear is set up the same way. I have a trolling outfit with a levelwind reel with a right-side crank. That's the only tackle I have which is like that. No casting with it, so it's not as much of an issue to me.

I always thought it was crazy to switch hands too, if you cast right and retrieve right like i do, but someone had me try a little test one day. Try reeling as fast as you can (think monster swimming at you head on and need to make up some line) with your right hand and then again with your left. If your dominant hand is doing the reeling instead of the holding, your retrieve will me much smoother, non dominant hand on the reel causes some major rod movement on fast retrieves.

Hope that makes sense

I cast with my right and reel with right.

You should reel however it feels most comfortable to you.

Skinny

Yeah i kinda grew up as a kid with right hand retrieve spinning, baitcasting, then the big game reels are always right...i tired left but i would spin the rod around the handle, need to crank fast so i stuck with right, never was an issue swapping hands, just used to it. I rekon just do whatever is comfotable and easiest.

I cast right and reel right. I was probably switched from a lefty as a child. I am left eye dominant. I use left eye for camera. I have an older Orvir reel that I bought for my Orvis Battenkill. It is a reel left model so I suck it up and just do it.

I re taught myself to reel left and cast right after I lost a rod to a salmon I had just cast my rod and was switching to start cranking in my rapala when the brute hit it hard and kept going with a g loomis rod and a really nice okuma reel and when your pier fishing the salmon head straight out to the deep water once stuck

Dang! Good story Riff, i almost had that happen to me a couple of years ago with Speckled Trout, i guess i was lucky because i was able to step on the rod quick enough. As for reeling, i reel with my left hand and cast with my right; i write with my left hand and play pool with my left hand but shoot a gun, cast, play golf etc... with my right hand.

I reel with my right hand. I am left handed and dont switch. What KILLS ME is seeing someone with a openface spinning rod with the reel topside like a bait caster. I just want to smack them in the back of there head.

Kevin

^^^^?Oh i seen that hahaha, reeling backwards!

I must have come from salt as it makes absolutely no difference if after the cast you put the rod under your armpit and double handed strip, or use streamers.

I reel with my left on fly & spinning reels. Cast with my right. I cast right & reel right with my baitcasters. Trolling reels I reel right.

I'm right handed, but tie flies left handed. All in the way I learned. smile.png

The argument that "you can reel faster with your dominant hand" doesn't hold water for me. I've fished since I could walk with left-retrieve reels so the muscle memory and coordination to make little circles with my left hand is permanently imprinted. I've used several right-side fly reels (borrowed, traded for a few casts, whatever) and I hate it.

Also I have not had the opportunity have a fish run at me so fast on fly tackle that I couldn't keep up with it. ESPECIALLY on fly tackle, the drag of the fly line imparts quite a bit of pressure on its own during a fast run. Getting way off topic, but true nonetheless.

I write, throw, bowl, eat, and cast with my right hand. I've never reeled with anything but my left hand though.