Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Randyflycaster

Best Dubbing for Caddis and Caddis Emergers?

I have rabbit fur dubbing, but I suspect it will absorb too much water. What's a good dubbing for Caddis flies and Caddis Emergers?

Thanks again,

Randy

I like my caddis nymphs to sink as the natural swims rapidly up towards the surface and bursts out. They (UK ones) dont tend to sit at the top waiting to pop. For the dry though rabbit probably is too water loving. I use superfine synthetic or a wool dubbing as wool resists water quite well.

Adult caddis have hairy bodies so I use a rough dubbing containingg squirrel fur for caddis dries. There are commercial caddis dubbing that are good for dry flies.

http://www.fishusa.com/Wapsi---Life-Cycle-Dubbing---Caddis_p.html

I don't like to use much dubbing on the caddis larva or pupa because they slow the sink rate of the flies. I want a solid body so I use lace, chamois, tubing, beads, etc.

Here are some flies I tie for caddis larva and pupa.

P1000645.jpg

P1000648.jpg

Caddispupa.jpg

OrangePupa.jpg

I also tie this pattern like this on I pulled off of the net

Rock-worm%2Bwilly%2527s%2Bchewy%2Bcaddis

Maybe I can still use the rabbit fur for caddis flies if I then waterproof them with something like watershed.

Randy

yeah if you add something to the fur it will take on the water less easily. If i'm honest I've never taken a fish on a dry caddis fished as such. I've caught on emerging, drowned (slow sinking) and nymphs. The dries have caught during other hatches or when fished in no hatch. I honestly think fish are more likely to eat them before they get out the water or when they return to lay eggs, at which time some caddis dive below the surface and swim a way.