Fly Tying
robow7

Tiny swivels for the end of leaders

Does anyone know of a crane swivel that is smaller than a SPRO crane swivel size 10 which is .25" long? I'm tying one of these on the end of my leader where I can continue to retie new pieces of tippet and possibly avoid line twist with some of my flies that like to produce a twist. I found these in a size 14 but of course there is no standard when it comes to terminal tackle. Thanks for your input

http://www.histackleboxshop.com/American-Fishing-Wire-Mighty-Mini-Crane-Swivel-p/afw-swivel.htm

Eagle Claw Lazer Power swivels in Size 14 are the smallest I've seen. They actually do a pretty good job with twist also. I don't know if they are available as a separate swivel, I've only bought them with a wire snap attached. The snap is easy to remove. They say they have a test of 20lb, and are very small. I've gone to them over ball-bearing swivels on my spinning gear for the most part. I'll measure one this afternoon, but I think they are significantly less than a quarter inch, could be wrong but they are light and no issue at all on a fly leader.

Sometimes there is no way to avoid twist, but I've found I just need to run my tippet through pinched fingers every few casts and that usually keeps it at bay. For me, most of the twisting comes from the cast, I've not caught fish on a fly which twists in the water.

Raven & Blackbird tackle make micro swivels (commonly used in float fishing). I've used them on occasion while fly fishing for the purpose you describe. Check out centerpinangling.com.

If you're talking about warmwater fishing for bass, etc., your leaders are no doubt heavy enough to use loop-to-loop connections and spare yourself the hassle of tying on new tippets in the field. If your twist is caused by flies rolling during the retrieve, you'd be ahead of the game by correcting the root of the problem rather than resorting to swivels. If you're fishing flies that turn into propellers, you're gonna get a lot of twist, swivels or no swivels. Properly constructed flies shouldn't roll in the water and should cast OK unless you're dealing with a lot of wind. Doing what Joel suggested should take care of the minor twisting that occurs from time to time. If you're fishing in moving water or from a boat, you can also get rid of twist by removing the fly and letting the line drag in the current for a bit. I'm not saying swivels are gonna ruin your fishing, but I've never known anyone to use them other than the offshore big game crowd, and that's an entirely different sport.

Flies that I tie that I know have a tendency to twist or ride on the side while I strip them in I have started to tie weighted keels on them and it has been working like a charm so far .

Flies that I tie that I know have a tendency to twist or ride on the side while I strip them in I have started to tie weighted keels on them and it has been working like a charm so far .

That's a great idea. Some tyers use weighted keels on big saltwater streamers for that very reason - sometimes on flies that have a lot of bulky materials, the weight of the hook isn't enough to keep the fly swimming straight.

Weighted keels might work in some conditions but with a decent current and a fly like a Zoo Cougar or Dahlberg Diver that rocks back and forth, twist is a possibility, especially if the top mallard flank wing fouls with the hook and it spins on you until you can correct the situation.

Thanks for all the suggestions.