Fly Tying
Christopher K

June 2013 flies from the vice

Was that above the ford pool? I'm surprised there was enough water to need to fish any deeper than the top inch. Up by the blackwater on Friday a few fish were leaping in a pool trapped behind a stretch of rapids waiting on the tide to rise the level that extra 3 or 4 inches. A guy was there but was having no joy at all.

I don't know which pool but it was on the beat below the loch. It was only his second time out salmon fishing. The first one was the night before, when I went along to get some photos. Couldn't have gone that night I busted my knee. This is one of the shots from the night before. He was on the lower beat.

post-43582-0-01276900-1371932804_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

C.

And one other type I have been tweaking, wrestling, and trying to get to my liking; Elk Hair Caddis, with decent hair for once and a more typical standard dry fly collar. With the trimmed elk/deer hair head, the few wraps of hackle trimmed at the bottom, and the fact its made of buoyant stuff, should float nice. I love the way they look, and they float wonderfully (I went and tossed a few to test them)

uqy0.jpg

The usual 14s and 16s when I start a new, or modify an old, pattern.

After a brief interlude tying for salmon its back to the small stuff. These are both size 16.
post-43582-0-39535600-1371941351_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-19949400-1371941376_thumb.jpg

First up an MP Olive Dun. Using the Petitjean split winging technique. Then a simple poly winged spinner. What is interesting to note is how I've split the tails. Piece of thread doubled around the hook bend and brought up between the tails. By doubling the thread to make it oversized and using a bright green I get an imitation of the egg sack on the natural. I've been amazed the difference this tiny addition makes.

Cheers,

C.

The pink tag should be interesting, haven't fished it yet, the parachute family is in sizes #12, #18 and #30

post-35895-0-44648600-1371973057_thumb.jpg

post-35895-0-20116000-1371973067_thumb.jpg

post-35895-0-38659000-1371973078_thumb.jpg

post-35895-0-52548200-1371973087_thumb.jpg

Windy and rain in the clouds today, so: a good cup of coffee, Pjusk on the speakers and some rows of these:

Eide, do you have a name and recipe for those fine looking flies?

If you look on that diagram you posted look where the butt is vs the tag in relation to the tail

Thanks; actually, @ the bottom of the diagram, there is an explanation of each. For the tag, "With the hook shank parallel to the tying surface, the tag starts at the barb point and proceeds to the hook point. The tag may consist of several materials such as tinsel and floss."

;-)

that's proportions, placement is a different issue

Well Chris, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

TC

Some hi-vis foam beetles. Just laminate craft foam in 3 layers with adhesive spray and the trim in strips for body. You can use a herl under body or ice dubbing and palmer a hackle through it. Rubber legs are tied on sides at head wrap.

Nice all purpose terrestrial.

post-47768-0-64687600-1372043757_thumb.jpg