Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Swap Club For November

The theme for November is any nymph pattern. As you well know, most trout fly patterns, in the right sizes, will work for bluegills also, so tie up your favorite nymph pattern. Has anyone seen my Schollmeyer book?

1. Breambuster - Swapmeister -

2. Jolly Red - Received

3. Dreamcaster - Received

4. Famill00 - Received

5. Homer35805 - Received

6. Riffleriversteelheadslayer - Received

7. Fshrmanms - Received

8. Xrayts - Received

9. Gravy Train - Received

10. Vicrider - Received

11. Crackleback - Received

12. Frequent Tyer - Received

Haven't seen your Schollmeyer book, but I did see Johnny Utah's "trout bane". Believe this will be a great pattern for bluegill.

Mailed today. A Pumpkinhead that should have been for Halloween and an old beadhead I had a bunch of from before that should be good 'gill bait down deep. Or it's a decent try in a trout stream.

Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since I've been here but in my defense, except for last month, all my flies have gone out on time. Hope you like what I have been sending. This month is nymphs, and I am thinking about tying the "Rabbit Fly", size 14, maybe 12, probably 14.

Hope all is well with everyone, and if there is going to be a new swap for next year I'd like to play if there is a slot open that is. Take it easy and I hope you all catch loads of fish.

In the mail.

Hook: tmc 200r #10

Tail: red medium round rubber

Abdomen: woven embroidery floss, black over red

Rib: red wire, brassie size

Thorax: Hare'e wiggle dub, bloody black

Wing case: Black thin skin, drop of goo on top

Bead: red glass

-Mike

I'm still trying to dig myself out of the hole I found when I returned home from a week in beautiful, sunny Florida. It wasn't fly fishing, and it wasn't bluegills, but I had a BALL fishing while I was there. We had a place RIGHT ON the water in Madeira Beach, about 1/2 hour from my son, daughter-in-law, & our twin grandchildren. They were our first grands, and it truly was GRAND to see them.

Anyway, when I returned home, there was a snafu about getting our mail started back up, but when we got that cleared up, there were 2 sets of flies that came in while I was gone. Xrayts has contributed some really SSWWEETT Red Fox Squirrel Nymphs. I can't wait to fish these. I tie them too, but Xrayts has done an outstanding job with these. And the second set was some Trout Candy flies from Jolly Red. The name may say trout, but the FLIES say GILLS! I know these are going to be fun to fish with. And thanks, guys, for the extras.

Looks like we have to nice sets in the mail from Riff and Crackleback. Can't wait to see both of these.

If any of you guys are on Facebook, let me know how to catch up with you there. You all have my name from my addy. There is another guy in Tennessee with almost the same name, but he puts an "s" on the end of my last name. But put in my name & look for an avatar of a guy with his cap turned backwards holding up a pretty fair LMB, and you will have found me. I have just recently become FB friends with Riff, but I need more fly tying buddies in my list of friends.

Take care

BB

BB, if I knew you had just returned from sunny Florida I would have thought differently of you as I drove through the sleet and freezing rain this morning to take my flys to the post office :-)

I tied a casual dress pattern, but it is a bit different from the original Polly Rosborough pattern. Not different enough to give it a name, so I guess it is a variant. Here is the recipe with Rosborough's original materials given in parenthesis:

Hook: #12 2XL nymph

Thread: Uni 8/0 black

Tail: Pheasant tail (muskrat underfur and guard hairs)

Body: Muskrat underfur spun in dubbing loop (felted muskrat)

First collar: Muskrat underfur and guard hairs

Second collar: Black rabbit (Black ostrich herl)

Hope every one has a nice Thanksgiving,

Mike.

We have received two more AWESOME sets of flies from Crackleback and Frequent Tyer. If you thought last month's set was nice, wait until you see the flies from this month! Again, it looks more like an invitational swap! I'm going to have to learn to tie both of these. They will definitely be in my bluegill box! Thanks guys, and thanks for the extras.

BB

Uh oh. I see that I failed to acknowledge a set of flies from Fshrmanms. They came in right before Thanksgiving, and with everything else going on, I just failed to let you all know that they have arrived. This is a SWEET pattern that uses golden pheasant and looks like a killer damsel fly nymph pattern that I am definitely going to try. Really beautiful fly! Thanks, Mark!

BB