Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Swap Club For December

Crackleback, that is unreal. About as nice as I've ever seen. No one could take a chance on putting that in the water. If it was used on some of the reefs I've seen videos of it might get mated with. My hats off to you sir.

Still waiting for Homer's flies. As soon as they get here, I'll do a quick turn around and get stuff headed back to each of you.

If any of you are interested in a one-time Bluegill Swap with a due date of Feb 15, I'd be more than glad to have any of you to sign up. I'm still needing 4 more swappers. Think about it, and let me know.

Take care

BB

Hey guys, I haven't heard from Homer in several days. We were talking on a daily basis until about the middle of last week, and then he just kind of disappeared. I've sent him PMs every day to tell him that his flies still haven't arrived, but he hasn't read any of them. I don't know if he's sick or what. We had so many changes toward the end of the year last year that I stopped taking phone numbers and I don't have any contact for Homer except his mailing address and PMs thru the Messenger page. Do any of you know him or know how to get in touch with him? He had sent the flies by Express Mail on Jan 4, but then, when he tried to check the tracking number for them, the tracking number never showed anything. The USPS website usually says something, I don't remember the exact wording, "But it means "The USPS has been notified that the package is coming, but we haven't gotten it yet." And I don't know if that is the last thing he received, or if it just says, "The tracking number doesn't yield any information." or whatever. If any of you know how to get in touch with Homer, please let me know. Otherwise, I guess we just wait, for now.

Take care

BB

I received a set of flies today from Derek, but no toe tags. These may be the flies I've been waiting on from Homer, but I'm not entirely sure. They are either for this swap or they are for the Bluegill Swap with a due date of Feb 15. Derek, you need to get in touch with me and let me know which swap these flies are for.

Thanks

BB

I am about 99% sure that the flies that I received yesterday were from Homer. So I have toe tagged them, sorted out all the flies and they are now in the mail back to you guys. December must have been a busy month for all of us because there were several sets without toe tags. I made some sets on the computer, but missed one and ended up having to do it by hand. But no worries, they are all tagged, everyone had enough postage on your envelope and they are headed back to you guys.

The fly that I tied for this month was something that I wanted to experiment with. It is called the S.O.S. which stands for "Save Our Skins." It is called that because several people have said that they had fished all day without a single hit until they put this fly on and then they started catching fish. One guy said he saw a man and his son fishing for bluegills. They had fished all day without catching anything and so he gave them each a fly to hang down beneath their bobbers and told them that if they didn't catch fish, he would eat the fly himself. Well, they started catching fish right away. It is supposed to work equally as well for trout as well. I did have to substitute some fibers from what I call a "turkey blunt" for the tail which actually calls for black pheasant tail fibers, which I did not have. I sure would love to hear from some of you to let me know how the fly works for you. It's tied on a size 14 hook and can be tied much smaller.

This brings to a close 2 years of the Bluegill Swap Club. A couple of you have hung in there with me for the whole 2 years, and I deeply appreciate your loyalty. But I also appreciate the willingness of others of you who have jumped in when we needed a replacement and have done an excellent job. The quality of the flies that have come out of the Bluegill Swap Club has been amazing and I have more wonderful bluegill flies than I will ever be able to try for quite some time.

This year I'm hoping to do a swap roughly every other month, so watch for me to post them on the website.

Gravy, where in the world did you get the frog bodies? That is a neat thing to see. And Dreamcaster, what do you call the pattern that you tied for this time? That, too, is a neat fly. In fact they are all great and I appreciate the hard work that you have all done to make the Bluegill Swap Club a great success. Who knows, I may run it again next year, but for now, I felt like I needed a little break.

Take care guys, Tight lines, and Thanks again!

BB

That's a new one Black n pink squirrel tail is what I call it. I would think it should work good I also tied some for me with orange collar. It has been a good 2 years man does time fly (Haha). I sent you some others but I can't remember what besides that little worm and that thing will pull them off their beds almost every time.

Bream,

thanks for letting me join the swap this year. just about every pattern was a new one to me. i look forward to getting in on the ones coming up.

i need to apologize to you guys for this months pattern being a little on the big size this time around.

i ordered my materials for this swap thinking that a size 8 would be ok. i did not think about the pattern getting bigger as i glued them together.

20131227_154418_zpsb97e3148.jpg

once i find the link for the pattern i will post it

craig

Those frogs will be great on bass. Where did u get the bodies?

This is a great set for the final I can't wait to try them out.

I have the perfect little frame for riffs fly that is too cool to fish.

Thanks again to BB for 2 great years and for everyone else's tying. Great group to be in.

I got the flies in today, and must say I really like them. Another great set of flies. Want to thank BB for hosting, and if you get your enthusiasm back, I would be happy to join another yearly bluefill swap.

Yep, another great set of flies. Like so many set of "bluegill" flies, sure, they'll all catch 'gills, but some went right into trout boxes and even one into the terrestrial box this time. The ones just for panfish are going to be getting wet right after this next cold snap goes thru. I'm due to begin test out some new bamboo rods and that's the best way to do it is on our local 'gill/bass ponds.

Another fantastic set of flies! Thanks all, and thanks again to BB for being such a great host!

Almost a foot of snow out there and temps have not moved above zero. Let's hope for an early spring so we can get these flies wet.

Mike.