Fly Tying
Hellgrammite

Deer....hair....grrr....

Anyone that sees Terje's dry flies sees how functional the plastic broom fibres are. I personally do prefer real fur and feathers but admit some synthetics do a better job or are easier to work with. I too would not medicate myself just to use a material but then I prob willing to do some other daft thing instead.

Is there a difference between Angelina and a blow-up doll?

Not really. They both have about the same brain-power, and they're both mostly made of plastic.

As far as allergies go, don't assume it's the deer hair you may be allergic to. As rockworm, said it may be something on the deerhair. If it's been tanned, then possibly there are chemical residues on the hair & that could also be a substance that could cause an allergic reaction.

I've had allergies too all my life & fur or feathers do not bother me, but sometimes there are things on them that do. Washing the materials usually takes care of that.

And, yes there is a big difference between muskrat & grey poly. Each has their own unique properties & uses. But, as has been said, tie with what you like. To each his own.

Joel, so very true! You crack me up! laugh.png

Widows Web from Montana Fly company is a good synthetic for wings.

I prefer hair from Natures Spirit or Rocky Mountain Dubbing company. As has been said a good wash might help. I feel your pain, I am allergic to feathers :(

here is a good article on hair use/selection http://midcurrent.com/flies/fly-tying-hair-selection/