Fly Tying
eastern fly

Grass Carp Help

Does anyone have any grass carp flies? I have a pond that has some huge carp (30 +) but the flies I have tried they just bump and run, not take. I'm looking for ideas to tye up. Help please.

Kevin

Contrary to state biologists who had 'em put in our local state lakes for weed control they eat some animal matter; mostly bugs. They come up behind bass poppers even when being popped fast but they just grab the tail feathers. The ones I've caught, very spooky, actually struck a slowly twitched streamer. Don't have pics but did beat them with a stick until dead to the amazement to onlookers. I hate'em. They have reduced some small lakes to mud holes. After public outcry they let people bow fish'em out. They are a management tool but too many left unchecked are bad. Anyway they'll strike a fly sometimes that mimics "nongrass".

103_0545.JPG

A motionless fly gets the gentle taste which never did get a hook up for me. Man was I surprised when they slammed a streamer. Had them follow poppers all the time just to peck the tails.

Small dry patterns will work great but you need to sink the leader before the fly. They are even spookier than common carp.

Once had the chance to sight cast to one in a local farm pond. I know they were all old timers in the 36" range. Was using large (6 or 4?) black wooly bugger. Cast about 3' beyond and about 5' ahead of it and did a slow strip to put it right in front of it nose. Never saw the fish hit; the water just exploded like an original cherry bomb in the water. Took the bugger and tippet and was gone. Obviously I was not prepared for that. But you may want to try a bugger. And use heavy tackle.