Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Matt McK

Smallmouth bass patterns?

Anyone have some good smallmouth bass patterns that will work for other fish as well in a river? Looking for good nymphs that will work for smallmouth bass as well.

Number one would have to be the Clouser Minnow, but you did ask for "nymphs" Woolly buggers tied with crystal chenille, and 8 silicon skirt strands for the tail. Crayfish patterns. Stonefly nymphs, with rubber legs, and girdle bugs. Hellgramite patterns, simply a wooly worm with the hackle trimmed short on the back three quarters of the shank.

I have had a lot of success with a 'blind squirrel' on SMB and many other species. I use a bright orange dubbed body instead of the squirrel fur. Can be fished as a nymph or dad in size 10 thru 6.

Black and olive woolly bugger - cant go wrong.

Near nuff sculpin

cray fish patterns

Clousers - or foxee clousers

scorpio

scorpio.jpg

scorpio2_zpsbb4cd403.jpg

hook

thread to match color

marabou

lvrid, drib, larva lace

lead eyes

estaz

rubber legs

Do a google search on Beck's Super Bugger. I tie them in black, olive, tan and orange and have an absolute blast with that little fly. I typically tie it on a size 6 but go up to a size 4 and a larger set of eyes if I know that there will be current or deeper pools. I've caught smallies, trout and several species of panfish on it. Give it a try.

Lefty's Deceiver

Clouser Deep Minnow

Half and Half

Woolly Bugger

In various sizes and colors, a person could successfully fish for smallmouths in any river, any time, with those 4, and never be wanting for more. To get fancy, add a couple dead-drift crawfish patterns such as the Clouser Crayfish, although the WB would cover that just fine.

Lefty's Deceiver

Clouser Deep Minnow

Half and Half

Woolly Bugger

In various sizes and colors, a person could successfully fish for smallmouths in any river, any time, with those 4, and never be wanting for more. To get fancy, add a couple dead-drift crawfish patterns such as the Clouser Crayfish, although the WB would cover that just fine.

When it comes to Smallmouths, Joel & I agree! These are the types of flies I use most too. But, they're also what I use most for LM Bass & Striped Bass. I would add Seaducers to the list.

Fact is there are many, many fly patterns that are excellent for Smallmouths, they're not particular. For surface flies, Gurglers are good, as are the many foam patterns commonly used for trout, particularly the bigger patterns such as Triple Deckers or Chernobyl's. Of course, poppers & Sneaky Pete type sliders & deer hair type bugs work well too.

You can add the various rabbit strip flies to the list. Anything from a Zonker to a simple Leech or even eel/worm types. Dahlberg Divers are excellent too.

The list goes on & on, and as Joel & others have said, you can get as simple or fancy as you like.

Here's one of my favorite nymphs. It's intended to be a Stonefly pattern, but works well as a Hellgrammite. Probably gets taken as a crayfish also.

Pattern Recipe:

Hook: Togen's Black Nickel Curved Shank, size 2 (Or whatever hook & size you like.)

Thread: Black ( I use Danville Flat Waxed Nylon)

Bead: Tungsten, or Brass

Tail & Legs: Silicone or rubber

Under Body: Rabbit Dubbing ( black, olive/black, olive) Hareline makes some great dubbings, such as Haretron that can be used.

Tie it in amber, rust or brown too if you like.

Ribbing: Transparent black vinyl, something with a rounded surface. ( originally Swannandaze) Or, other color to fit the color you choose.

Thorax: 2 wraps of Estaz. Opalescent black, or olive

Wrap the dubbing by whatever method you prefer, and pick it out between the ribbing wraps with a bodkin to give it a buggy appearance.

100_4109-1.jpg