Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Randyflycaster

Dubbing Problems

I'm having two problems: First, though I'm using wax, after I twist the dubbing in one direction with a lot of pressure between my thumb

and finger, the dubbing often separates from the thread, so I get a line of thread and a line of dubbing parallel to each other. Second,

when I finish wrapping and try to take off the excess dubbing from the thread, the end of the dubbing that I wrapped comes off the hook shank. Should I then secure the butt of the dubbing that come off the shank with some wraps?

Thanks again your all your help,

Randy

The second part first. I always make a thin noodle of dubbing, you can always add more but taking it off is difficult. For every 2 wraps toward the hook eye I take one back across them which helps lock all the dubbing down. I normally try to reach my hook eye with bear thread so the head is formed and whip finished without having to pull dubbing off.

First problem. Do you let your thread untwist (let the Bobbin hang and it'll spin the twist out) before trying to rub your dubbing on? If you twist your dubbing on in a clockwise motion, assuming you are right handed, a clockwise twist will be put in the thread as you wind and this helps the dubbing. If you dub it on the other way, as you wind the natural twist your thread develops will undo the dubbing a bit.

Maybe you are using too much dubbing. I have trouble like that when I have too much. I also use a dubbing loop as often as I can. Tie a couple half hitches and pull the extra dubbing from the bobbin side of the knot when you are done.

you may be applying too much dubbing to your thread. apply the thinnest amount of dubbing to the thread.

if you watch tying videos, you will notice that when the experts use dubbing, they will apply the dubbing onto the thread and then will make a wrap or two around the hook shank and then retwist the dubbing on the thread. they will continue this technique every 1-2 wraps until they have the dubbed body where they want it.

apply the dubbing, wrap it forward and i'm done

read this and bookmark it

http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sbs&action=display&thread=4046

piker

i have never needed to let the thread untwist to apply and wrap dubbing forward as you describe in "first problem"

Norm, I don't normally untwist mine either but I was thinking if he has been dubbing on against the twist already in his thread it wont help. I think the thin/less material is the main issue.

i just got a new tying book and saw a new dubbing technique

have your thread at the bend of the hook, wax it up and spin the bobbin holder. while the thread is spinning touch dub the thread. the dubbing supposedly adheres to the waxed thread making a dubbed noodle.

gonna try it this weekend

Maybe try ripping/breaking up the dubbing before you put it on your thread. Just pull it apart with your thumb and finger of each hand to break the fibres up a little bit. Spit on your dubbing twisting fingers and off you go. I make too much of a mess with wax and end up putting too much on the thread, a little ole fashioned saliva works just as well imo.

watch out for those "dubbed noodles" flytire, I've heard they're pretty painful lol

^^Flytire^^ That works great with hare and other furs that have a good mix of guard and under fur. I cant get seal to work with it and anything with flash chopped in seems to slip. CDC works well too.

I agree with flytire, and the others, to use less dubbing on the thread. Its a lot easier to ADD more dubbing, rather that trying to unwrap and fix a dubbed body that looks like a lumpy sack of potatoes.

Bill

When ever possibe I use the LaFontain "touch dubbing method". Wax the thread with a tacky wax and just touch the dubbing to the thread. You will never apply too much dubbing this way. See the article by Al and Gretchen Beatty: http://www.flytyer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3009

Hi Randy,

When you send me your address in the near future with other items we discussed remind me to send you some of our BT's Dubbing Wax. You might find it helpful.

For the rest of you on this forum: Randy is an author we've been working with on a couple magazine projects. He is one of the good guys, a heck of a good writer, AND fly fishes near his home IN a large eastern city. Take care & ...