Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dryfly purist

Playing around with Nikon 105mm f2,8 VRll macro - test shots.....

I finally got hold of a more or less brand new Nikon 105mm f2,8 VRll macro lens.

I had to take it outside to try and find some bugs to capture but it turned out to be hard. The summer has not started out as we hoped for and there are very few bugs around in the trees and bushes. It´s to cold for them i guess.

The ones i found was really really small and sat on leafs far inside the bush were the light conditions was really bad. I had a homemade "soft box" on my flash and just tried to get the focus right, but man that was hard in the poor

light conditions on these small bugs :-)

Here a couple of shots i took but there is plenty to improve on focus, lightning, composure etc etc.......... but i tried my best and will continue playing around with this lens this summer to hopefully learn a LOT more :-) :-)

A fly caught in the spiders web

8989340463_9ba9ce3ac9_b.jpg

Not a very attractive bug :-)

8980335470_72e3b55803_b.jpg

Wow. Can't wait to see what you turn out if these are poor pictures. Love that gothic look the first pic has.

Wow. Can't wait to see what you turn out if these are poor pictures. Love that gothic look the first pic has.

Thanks a lot, Piker20 :-) :-)

I don´t think they are poor, but i think it´s possible to improve the images when i get more experienced when it comes to macro photo. I feel more like a beginner in world of macro photo but i´m eager to learn more in the years to come :-) :-)

Here is a photo of "the fly in the web" that is heavily cropped. It looks to me like the Nikon D800 has great potential when it comes to keeping details when you crop the image quite a lot :-)

8991492324_fb7c8dc4a4_b.jpg

The last one of the fly caught in the spiders web with a bit different look. The exposure, flash setting and also the outdoor light is a bit different

than in the first picture above.

8990491059_c34bf3cde8_b.jpg

Terje

LOVE your photos, Dryfly! Photography is a talent I wish I had - so amazing to pull that much detail from such small subjects. Great work, keep posting them!

LOVE your photos, Dryfly! Photography is a talent I wish I had - so amazing to pull that much detail from such small subjects. Great work, keep posting them!

Thanks a lot, phishy. I really appreciate your kind comment :-)

Terje