Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cruncher

Sharkskin Streamer Express 250 - TCX 697

This line is rate at 250 grains and recommended for 7-8 wt rods. Figuring that with this 6 weight TCX being a fast rod and the added length of the 9'6", that this should work. Was wondering if anyone has overlined their 6 weights a little and what their thoughts were?

Overlining a rod is fine. You will load it quicker, ie with less line out the tip so better for shorter casts. Have more line out the tip and you overload the rod. I would say on tight swims its a good tactic to present heavier flies on a short light rod. And good for beginners to help feel the rod load.

Seems fine, will be rather clunky and shoot to the moon and slap down like a belly flop. But this can be good for dredging.

For pinks in BC in large rivers i will use a rio 200gr to get down and also to shoot line on my 5wt zed axis. Only 1 or 2 backcasts and shoot.

I throw a 300 & 400gr line on my 8wt. it takes some getting used to so you don't have the belly flop cast that jam is talking about but will be a dream in the wind or with conehead/dumbbell eyes. your fly size that you can cast will go up you will fish deeper it all equals larger fish