Fly Tying
mridenour

Bear Spray Recommendations???

Going to be fishing in some Wyoming bear country next month. What bear spray do you carry? Have you ever had to use it?

In the deep BC woods we give the shortest and slowest members of the fishing party the bear spray. In reality tho if you have to use it then it is pretty much too late anyway, sure makes those short and slow anglers a bit more confident tho... Never used.

P1000463.jpg

I was always told to tie a couple bells to your backpack. Been a little hesitant to try that out since it could be confused as a dinner bell. Lots of noise or the spray that comes from a 12 guage, win win situation.

Cougars do, umm i am originally an aussie so i make up my own assumptions with wild life then just wrestle it and stick my thumb up it's... Bears used to worry me, huge ass grizz still do...for them a .50 cal is more what u need if things go bad. Poppers or a horn are great for swarms of black bears.

Grizzly bear shit is full of bells and smells like pepper..

I was always told if you encounter bears while out and about, you just lie down into a fetal position and play dead until they go away. When did this practice change? One would think any type of spray would just really piss them off !

Regards,

Mark

for them a .50 cal is more what u need if things go bad.

No all you really need is a .22 revolver. Use it to shoot your buddy in the knee cap.

In all seriousness I have a can of the Counter Assault spray. I think all of the major brands (Counter Assault, UDAP, Frontiersman...) have the same concentration. I doubt many have been unfortunate enough to compare their effectiveness.

I think all of the major brands (Counter Assault, UDAP, Frontiersman...) have the same concentration.

ya most bear sprays are loaded with 1-2% capsaicin. May not seam like much but it sure packs a punch when it gets in a bears face.

I was always told if you encounter bears while out and about, you just lie down into a fetal position and play dead until they go away. When did this practice change? One would think any type of spray would just really piss them off !

Regards,

Mark

I always thought a grizzly will see you as no threat if you lie down, you hope, but a Black bear will see you as a wimp and make you its bitch so you have yo fight back with them cause your life will depend on it.

I wouldn't be too concerned - I've fished and camped around concentrations of berry-eating black bears, and they pretty much ignored me. The odds are, you'll never even see one unless you're near a food source. (like yours for instance) Just don't believe that stuff about yelling at them to scare them off. If it moves off, it's because it wants to, not because you're yelling at it. Also, if you don't know whether a bear is a black bear or a grizzly, climb a tree immediately. If it climbs up behind you and kills you, it's a black bear. If it shakes you out of the tree and kills you, it's a grizzly. It's easy to tell the difference when you know what to look for.

Craig Mathews, owner of the Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in West Yellowstone, Montana, said that he has used bear spray 3 times against grizzly attacks within Yellowstone Park. It worked every time. He didn't mention what brand he used.

Just wear your winter fishin' hat. You know...the one with the ear flaps and the tassels. The bears will die laughin'.

laughing_bear.jpg

As flyfishingjam alluded to ... the best defense against bears, according to forest rangers, is to spray your clothes with pepper spray and wear bells attached to your clothes.

The best way to tell if you are in bear country is to look for bear "scat". To recognize bear scat, just look for piles of crap that smell like pepper spray and have bells in it.