Fly Tying
FishDragon

Need rubber for tying realistic patterns and coloring with markers.

Hi Everyone.

I am wondering if anyone has any info on rubber be it latex or a latex sub that would be .5mm thick and holds color well?

I just got a copy of "Listen to the River" and want to try my hand at some of these great looking flies but nymph skin is pretty darn expensive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Try performanceflies.com or Google dental dam material in natural latex or use the cuff portion of natural latex surgical gloves.
These are not the ones that come stuffed in a box you find in a doctors office. They are used for actual surgery.

Also, Hareline is distributing a latex product called J Son Realskin.
Haven't tried it myself but it looks interesting.

Kimo

You could check around the arts/crafts stores in your area for pourable latex and make your own material. You can make it as thick or thin as you like and in any shape you want. I've colored it with markers and the colors hold up reasonably well.

maybe wipe a coat of rubber cement on some wax paper and let it dry, cut to size and peel it off to use, just a thought

excercise bands from big box stores will give you a lifetime supply and they come in different thicknesses and take color well

Look no further. What you want is UV Chewee Skin.

No craft store material colored with a marker is going to give you the appearance or feel of flies tied with UV Chewee skin. They feel like a caddis pupa because of the "give" of the material.

Cut it into strips with a rotary cutter and a cutting mat.

UV-chewee-skin-fly-tying-material.jpg

DSCF7652-2.jpg

Thanks alot guys.

You gave me lots of ideas. Was also thinking of latex tourniquets but not sure on there thickness and also when I did ask at some medical supply shops I think they thought I was an addict from the stares I got lol.

I did try a swim cap and it was the right thickness but it didn't hold the color markers and it would rub off on your fingers.

Also I read somewhere that there is a spray that can be used to help hold the color markers as well, a printer spray I think.

A lot of the tourniquets are non latex now. (at least UK) but they don't hold colour either.

what i would use is color whatever you were using before and then apply a coat of either sally hansen clear coat ( or equivelent) amd let that dry on. it has worked well for me so far and is still flexible afterwards

Look no further. What you want is UV Chewee Skin.

No craft store material colored with a marker is going to give you the appearance or feel of flies tied with UV Chewee skin. They feel like a caddis pupa because of the "give" of the material.

Cut it into strips with a rotary cutter and a cutting mat.

UV-chewee-skin-fly-tying-material.jpg

DSCF7652-2.jpg

That stuff looks great. Where can you buy it?

If you re hell bent for latex remember it will dry rot over time and exposing it to direct sunlight will hasten those results. Just saying I wouldnt tie them by the dozens just to watch them go bad in yor fly box.

If you re hell bent for latex remember it will dry rot over time and exposing it to direct sunlight will hasten those results. Just saying I wouldnt tie them by the dozens just to watch them go bad in yor fly box.

Ditto for tying dozens of tube flies using some of the plastics such as drinking straws.

I witnessed one of the accomplished tyers in my club pick up one of those from his fly box

that had been sitting a few years to show it off only to have it immediately fall apart.

I agree....beautiful flies can be tied with latex, but they are short lived in the fly box. The latex flies don't work any better than flies tied with fuzzy stuff.