Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyderaght

Anyone tried these? synthetic rooster grizzly

I think (not sure at all) that these are a bundle of strands painted to look like the feather. From a couple of feet away you can't tell...nor by their pics. I doubt seriously that you can hackle anything with them, but i could be wrong. At least they found an alternative (or in our lingo SUB) so maybe hackle prices will drop some more with the decrease in demand.

But i have been wondering if it is possible to make a synthetic hackle with all the new manufacturing processes to come out over the last few decades...more curious as to how accepted that might be as well. It will be a different hobby when they do come out with that.

Tried how? In hair? On flies? Oddly enough, heard it does not work as well in hair as the real McCoy. For flies, it is just another barred synthetic fiber product, similar in properties to EP fibers or Slinky Fiber. And as a substitute for grizzly dry fly hackle, has no purpose what so ever....

Uh, I have some of those, but have as yet not tried tying anything with them. As whatfly said, it's a synthetic "hair", made to look like grizzly feathers used for women's hair. They don't look anything like a feather.

IMO, it's a material that could be used for tying some very long flies. My thought when I bought it was to combine it with something like the synthetic kanekalon, or perhaps yak hair & tie some 10" or longer flies for Striped bass, but have not gotten around to tying anything.

Yeah, that stuff started to appear when the price of feather hair extensions went through the roof. You can get it pretty cheap on Ebay or directly from China. I've got a pack I bought at the dollar store a while back - it appears to be nylon, and would be useful for saltwater/musky streamers, etc. Like Jim said, it would make good big striper flies, but I doubt it would be very useful for anything smaller. It's similar to Ultra Hair or Super Hair.