Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
todvan

Best synthetic streamer materials?

I'm tying streamers for trout and smallmouth. I have been using marabou, bucktail, rabbit strips, etc. But I'm wondering if there is a better synthetic out there. There are SO MANY different synthetics in the catalogs and at the local fly shops, I don't know where to start. I have tried EP fibers (and similar FTD material), but it seems to tangle easily when fished in longer streamers. I tried the EP baitfish tying style and am not sure I like the way these swim.

I'd like to imitate baby/small trout with ~ 3-4" streamer. If you were going to tie a 3 color bucktail type streamer, where the material extends a hook shank length beyong the bend, what is your choice of a swimmy synthetic that doesnt tangle or wrap around the hook?

Thanks!

If you're only tying to 3-4 inches, why do you need to use synthetics at all? The chief advantage to synthetic fibers is that they're not limited in size the way natural materials are. There's no synthetic out there that's gonna outperform the stuff you mentioned.

I will use ep fibers, buy a membership and you can get all the tips tying bass and trout streamers, silky fiber 3d is useful but so is knowing how the fly will swim and mostly how sparse it is, generally more sparse is the rule here, and so many people forget that. Tangled fibers are fixed with a comb, scissors are handy too. You can make ep flies swim up or down hook.

Micro minnows.

PB230846copy.jpg

I agree with PJ. In small flies you really dont benefit too much from synthetics. As you have found they dont give you the movement that naturals do. BUT as Riff and Jam say, tie sparse and you gain the illusion of Bulk without the actual bulk, making casting easier and in the water an EP minnow (as example) holds its profile and will match the prey forrage every cast and not get all soggy or loose the shape. The Synthetic fly can also have large bulky shoulders/heads to push water without having actual bulk and water holding materials.

Good stuff so far, but I would say the two advantages synthetics have over naturals even on small flies is synthetics can be shaped to an exact shape or profile you want better than naturals and they are far more durable when toothy critter are around. But the others were right that no synthetic will ever match the action of naturals, which is probably more important. For small minnows, my current favorites are polar fiber and craft fur. I also really like SF Flash Blend which is stiffer than EP and doesn't foul or tangle nearly as much, and it has flash already in it.

My absolute favourite (granted I've never tried EP fibres) is rainy's craft fur, I actually think it may move better than marabou.

Well, i thought i'd try something that could maybe imitate a baby bow. Used silky fiber 3d, silky fiber, flash, ep fiber, eyes.

Maybe i will add the pink as a slash down the side and use some green herring back ontop?

3 inches, now i am considering spinning up a baby brown!

P6192390_zps4a24d6fa.jpg

I'm no expert on tying with synthetics, as I much prefer natural materials, but for Smallmouth bass, an excellent fly that can be tied with all synthetics is a Murdich Minnow, of which I'm a big fan. It's a flashy pattern that can be tied in any size you wish, and has excellent motion to it.

Here's one I tied awhile back for a swap. The tail is Polar Flash, Krystal Flash & Kanekelon fibers. Kanekelaon being a synthetic hair sold for women's hair extensions. It's an excellent material & fairly cheap in price compared to some of the tying materials sold. It doesn't seem to tangle as bad as some other synthetic hairs I've tried either.

The body is Hackle Flash, marketed by Cascade Crest. There are a few other similar materials on the market as well.

100_4588.jpg

Also, here's a Clouser style fly tied entirely with Polar Flash. I'm also a big fan of Polar Flash, which IMO has great movement to it as well. It's another good Smallmouth fly & I expect both of these could be good trout flies in the right conditions.

100_4620.jpg

Both of these flies were tied with saltwater in mind, but one of the things I really like about these materials, is that both of these flies can be tied in several colors, and I can go from very flashy to quite dark, and still only use these materials. And by changing only the hook & sizes, use the same flies for bass or anything else I wish to use them for.

However, if you don't like flashy flies, then ignore everything I've posted here! rolleyes.gif

I have been a fan of 100% Nylon for some time. Love the stuff. Take some EP or Poly and toss in a bowl of water, the stuff floats. Take some nylon and ploop it in , the fibers expand and immediately sink underwater.

Nylon's SG is heavier than water, PP is lighter. I just like my fly "fishing" when it hits the water. When I have used the lighter synthetics I've had to yank the fly a couple a times to get it subsurface. Not what I want. I don't weight my streamers preferring a neutral buoyancy. I fish the shallow far banks of streams and water that is not over 3 ft. deep with streamers. I don't feel it's necessary to poke a deep water fish in the nose for a take ....they'll come up for it.

Few years back I bought this stuff to keep up with my old stock of Nylon....http://yarn2spin.yolasite.com/synthetic-fibers-for-spinning.php

The streamer flies I fish are cast-able ...you don't have to lob them and fear damage to yourself or your equipment. You can fish a 2-3-4 inch fly to the far bank 40-50-60-70 feet away no-problem.

Thanks everyone, lots of options to try. I like the little rainbow...is that silky fiber or slinky fiber? Where do you get it? How does it compare to EP or Congo hair (FTD)? What about a membership- not sure what you mean?

I also like the sound of the nylon - sinking right away...does that material in the link come in long strands? Hard to tell from the picture. Do you have an example of a fly tied with it?

I like the Murdich for smallies - great fly, but thinking more about trout streamers right now.

Hi todvan, it is a material silky fiber 3d which is another ep material. I must warn you that if you had issues with the ep fibers, the silky fiber might not be the best idea, it is a load more limp and mobile, perhaps similar to craft fur but with more movement, the 3d is just a subtle blend, not a solid colour, has excellent mobility and translucence so when wet or underwater it will take on different properties , when mixed with very sparse flash i find it super effective. The issue of not sinking with standard ep flies can be eliminated by using less in the tie, fouling can be eased with once again a more sparse approach or careful trimming the offending bits, and combing. If you become a member of ep flies you get all the tying videos and tips. Once you have mastered the materials your flies will go from floating, fouling puffballs to sleek fish catchers. If you do, check out trout minnow' that one is a hook up bendback design of 4 inches.

https://www.epflies.com/member/login/

"I also like the sound of the nylon - sinking right away...does that material in the link come in long strands? Hard to tell from the picture. Do you have an example of a fly tied with it?"

todvan,

It's roving...the hunk of material is continuous. You can cut any length you want. Here is a pic, one on the left is very fine stuff and on the right something a little thicker.132.jpg

Here's a fly:131.jpg

Hairwing, that is really good! I can imagine this material would be good for sculpin or huge goby flies, hmm, quick question with that how do you achieve the colours? An articulated pattern like mikes meal ticket using this could be the go.

FFJ,

For what it's worth, the body is dubbed nylon just the way it comes off the skein, the gills are black rabbit from a hare's mask, the wing is two separate loops of nylon, one a medium olive and a loop of white as it comes off the skein. I variegate the wing with a black and dark olive marker. The tail is some natural nylon and some cheap (because it bleeds) hot orange floss. I tie the fly with white 6/0 thread and let the colors do what they want.The head took a hit of marker and is cemented with fingernail polish.

Did you notice my "canyon loops"? I came up with the idea in 1977. I incorporate a couple of mono loops when I start the fly and finally build a wing like a parachute post. Then pull the wing through the loops. The wing will not foul. The technique will tame the finest materials, fur , feathers or synthetics.

Hadn't heard of "mike's meat ticket" so I googled http://steelheadalleyflytying.blogspot.com/2010/03/mikes-meal-ticket.html and watched an underwater vid of the fly in action. I was impressed!