Fly Tying

My friend set a state record on Valentines day with an #18+ cat down here in TX on a 5 wt. I have been with friends when we've caught cats several times, at all times of the year, they put up one hell of a fight too.

Blane

Catfish are a blast on a fly rod. I usually use a 6wt. They are aggressive feeders, and will take a number of different flies, if presented correctly. My favorite is a size 10 black wooly worm suspended about 24" below a strike indicator over a mud bottom. The takes are not subtle, and fight is memorable.

Blane, according to this article this guy just beat your buddys state record although I still think that your buddy deserves it since this guy caught it in a TFFC Pond. I am in TX myself, when I first started flyfishing I put on a nightcrawler out at the family lakehouse to play a fish and see how it would work.

We catch them on fly all the time (both the common or "hardhead" and the gaff topsail or "sailcat") on fly while fishing for reds, snook, and trout.... I have a strict two catfish rule... if we catch two of them.... it's time to move....

People tend to think of catfish as scavengers because they'll eat some pretty disgusting stuff, but they're also serious predators that won't pass up a chance to whack anything they can catch. I think the reason that more of them aren't caught on flies is that they prefer to hunt after dark, when most anglers are home watching "Entertainment Tonight" and listening to Justin Bieber albums.

I gotta try this. I am getting ready to catch some catfish for our big 4th of July fish fry and redneck fireworks show!

I wish i would have saw your post sooner Capt Bob, i was at the coast 2 weeks ago and saw a school of what i thought were redfish out in the bay so we mive towards them, i cast (with a spinning rod) right before the school of whatever it was and immediately caught a hardhead. I had the fiberglass 8 wgt with me i wish i would have cast it now that thing would have put up a good fight on a fly rod.

I get a few every year as by-catch. Always channel cats, I have never caught a flathead on the fly yet. I set that as a goal every year and so far, no luck!

Saltwater cats in the backcountry of the Everglades are quite aggressive (particularly in warmer weather.... They'll actually hit a topwater plug or fly and once you locate a few -nothing else will get to the fly before they do....

I tied an old Black rubber spinner bait skirt to a size 12 long shank hook with a red craft bead in the middle. Fishing at the dam in McConnellsville, NY. caught a 3lb flathead. Cast into the overflow and counted down to the bottom then started short stripping back...third cast on a 5 weight. The only one so far but it was fun and that ugly butt fly never left the box after that!

I agree with Capt Bob, if you are catching saltwater cats it's time to move. They may but up a good fight on the fly but after one or two they are more of a nuisance. The slime the crap out of your leader and can be tricky to de-hook without getting finned, and their poison will make you swell up pretty good

Didnt surprised me. everyone can catch cats, I caught 36lb flat at south holston tenn on a #4 rootbeer wooly bugger I tied last year. It was best memories I had.

Dad, my brother and I were on a boat dock in 1953. Rich and I told Dad to catch the fish we saw close to the bank. He whipped an ole 3 piece bamboo fly rod that was given to him by a friend, it had an auto fly reel... back and forth it went. One , two, three casts and Dad had the range. He dropped the fly and the fish erupted and grabbed the fly.

Holy Mackerel...it was a catfish. We cheered, my brother and I.

My first fly fishing experience. Fish (the cat) had a big mouth!