Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
pennscreekrules

BWO Emerger

Have you tried figure 8'ing a small strip of foam as a "halo" as in LaFontaines pattern? I think it would help with floatation.

I tied a few Halo Midge Emergers in #18, When I get the time I'll post it with a recipe.

QUOTE (Airhead @ Jan 19 2005, 08:04 PM)
Have you tried figure 8'ing a small strip of foam as a "halo" as in LaFontaines pattern? I think it would help with floatation.

Actually I have and they don’t seem to work as well, but I don’t think I have the same foam LaFontaine uses.

Hmmm...

How about substituting the wire with Larva Lace or a stripped hackle to cut down on the weight?

I think the pattern looks great, just wondering about the flotation problem.

I have yet to fish the Halo patterns, but the Airhead is my favorite fly to date. tongue.gif

Went back and read the recipe, maybe Larva lace isn't an option on #20!

QUOTE (Airhead @ Jan 20 2005, 12:39 PM)

I think the pattern looks great, just wondering about the flotation problem.

You can probably substitute any thing for the rib. I’ve tried a few strands of antron twisted than rapped, but the wire puts it in an up right position every time. Don’t let me miss lead you. It doesn’t sink like a rock. It’s good till you catch a fish, then you have to dry the wing after every fish. If you tinker with it let me know how you make out. I Have had great success with this fly.

I Have had great success with this fly.

Don't change a thing then.

I'll be sure to twist up a few. Hopefully before the central Pa. trip. biggrin.gif

I'll be sure to carry dessicant! tongue.gif

Airhead,

I wasn't trying to discourge you from tinkering with the fly. To be honest I found that (similar) flie in a tree on Spring Creek this fall while fishing the BWO. It looked like a cooper john with a dark green thorax and a deer hair wing, no tail. I couldn't get the fish to take any fly I showed them, so I tied on the flie I found and started getting hook up after hook up. When I got home I tied some flies like the one I found and a couple like the one above. The version above seemed to work as well or better than the one I found. Tonight I tied a few in sulfur colors hopefully they work. If you're coming to Pa in the spring I would tie some in an #18 & #20, I think the spring olives are a tad bigger than the fall olives, but I can't see so well. Good Luck.