Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CharlieD

Hexagenia Limbata

Hexagenia Limbata

Ran across the pictures I took of these big mayflies during the summer. They hatched in lake Erie and flew into Buffalo numbering in the hundreds of thousands and are attracted to glass buildings. They must think the glass is water. Just wondered if any one had any luck catching smallmouth bass on these things out in the lake? I never seem to run into the hatch when I am on the lake.

Charlie

A Dun.

post-31-1106082745.jpg

QUOTE (CharlieD @ Jan 18 2005, 04:12 PM)
Hexagenia Limbata  I never seem to run into the hatch when I am on the lake.

Charlie-

Hex hatches usually don't start until twilight, except when extreme dark overcast results in usual low-light conditions. BTW, very nice photos.

Hatch here in Michigan around june/july and hatch in unbelievable numbers. Usually start around 10pm and last till around 3am. Trout,bass and anything else that swims will feed on these huge mayflies.

The Hex in the western basin of Erie number in the 100's of millions. If conditions are right and they hatch en masse, the fish gorge on nymphs subsurface and fishing is pretty much shut down for a week or more. When hatchs are drawn out over weeks, fishing stays pretty consistent on slow trolled fat body baits. (A Walleye fanatic friend swears they think Hot-N-Tots are wigglers headed for the surface, maybe). The slicks of discarded Exo-Skeletons on Erie can be a 1/2 mile long and a couple hundred feet wide.

I have talked to a couple guys who claim to catch Walleye and Smallies on the surface, during spinner falls early in the hatch. They use small Pop R's and Skitter Bugs.

I would bet on your end of the lake (deep water) they are coming from marshy shoreline areas, bays and coves. Evening trips during spinner falls might be a bonanza, let us know if you try it.

On a side note, on my buddies lake, Largemouth, Crappie, Bluegill and small Pike can all be taken on the fly during spinnerfalls.

The slicks of discarded Exo-Skeletons on Erie can be a 1/2 mile long and a couple hundred feet wide.

I had the misfortune of going walleye fishing right after the hatch on Mullet Lake in Noethern MI. Needless to say we didn't catch much that day. It was pretty cool seeing all the exoskeletons though

The Trout were eating these guys as quick as they came up, last summer, on the Mad River in Ohio.

user posted image

Leaky Note****** "Ill PM you skunked"

he probaly has presto page manager or something to scan many pictures, edit them, and put em together. Creative!

I myself have never witnessed a hex hatch, Would like to be on the river when that happens!!!

I did that in Adobe Photoshop 6.0

I opened several pictures in the main window, then clicked on the Elliptical Marquee tool. Then clicked on the pic you wanted to us for circleing, and drag a circle around it.Then Next click on the Move tool. Hold the mouse button down on the circle that you made, drag it into position onto the other pic, and let go , it should stay there.

There is a little more to it, but that should get you started.

Then go to File, then to Save for the Web.Choose the folder you would like to store your newly made picture it.

Good luck with it.

Leaky smile.gif

They are a regular hatch here on my favorite summer lake. They hatch here as the sun sets. A little earlier then where most of you fish I see. Here they hatch from late July to early September. I haven't seen any fish take them off the water. I have a few imitations I have used and never caught anything on them. They are huge mayflies. I have taken some samples with a stomach pump and found that the brookies do take the nymph stage. Going to give them a try this summer.

I am a new member here and would just like to say, this is a great site and I enjoy reading through it. headbang.gif

QUOTE (Leaky Waders @ Jan 23 2005, 03:02 PM)
The Trout were eating these guys as quick as they came up, last summer, on the Mad River in Ohio.

user posted image

Leaky  Note******  "Ill PM you skunked"

Leaky Waders-

Nice picture. Rather than Hexagenia, that mafly looks (to me) more like Ephemera, probably E. guttulata if it was a really big bugger.