Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Jig hooks, Overlooked?

Tiemco:

CBCPTJIG-1-_zps02cf5e60.jpg

Boy likee for anchor fly...

PT/TB

Hi PT/TB,

Your pictures of the flies are great. What camera/setup do you use to photograph them? Take care & ...

Since I'm also a jig maker as well as fly tyer, using jig hooks for some of my bugs wasn't a long step... Here's two pics of the same 2/0 Whitewater Clouser, one with a standard Mustad 34007 hook -the second with a black nickel heavy freshwater hook. The fish seem to like both versions....

I have my anglers working heavy mangrove shorelines as well as downed trees with this pattern. Some days it's almost all we use for snook, reds, and trout... along with the occasional surprise like small feisty gag grouper hanging out under those same downed trees.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-91587200-1372006882_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-17600900-1372006906_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-05791400-1372006924_thumb.jpg

I definitely like using jig-style hooks; I'll include two videos of patterns that I tie (hooks are from Allen Fly Fishing and Performance Flies, I believe, in these two). The biggest downside is that fish tend to get hooked in the upper part of the mouth w/ these style of hooks. Tony Spezio has told me that he does not like using them for that simple point, though concedes that they will allow for less snagging of the stream bottom. I use them for a lot of my nymph fishing, especially in instances that I prefer to have a direct connection minus any splitshot (hence with the weight fully in the fly).

Bloody Mary nymph on jig hook:

TC

post-4914-0-30565600-1372035431_thumb.jpghi all,,im mainly a bass n bream flyrodder,,and i make jigs for myself and friends,,so i have a lot of jig hooks around

i tye on them all the time,,,dont get hung up as much in the thick stuff

After Dr. Harley Reno, a fish feeding behavior scientist, showed us several of his uses for weighted jig head hooks and why he uses them, I am convinced that there is every reason for me to use them on several different flies, from a flash-back PT to his brillo pad fly in many sizes. I've had luck on both of them, and according to him so has he. I can tie many different flies that always ride hook up, and look like a foraging fish or insect when on the bottom because they angle up when resting on the bottom and better resemble a natural prey item than some flies riding hook point down.

Dr. Reno said he has caught all but 4 North American game fish on the brillo pad, so it has a proven track record in my book.

Blane

There's a saltwater pattern I like, that's tied on the bigger sizes. I think it's specifically a plastic worm hook in sizes up to 2/0. It's good for pike, too