Fly Tying

Hi, I don't know much about my bugs, I saw a common one at the river a couple days ago, this is in southern NY. It flew just above still muddy river water and was about an inch long. When I was a kid I called them helicopter flies because they resemble the old style helicopter, I have also been told by my grandmother that they sew bad boys mouths shut, also sewing needle because they are very thin. what is it

Sounds like a damselfly to me. Looks like a small dragonfly. One of the common species has an electric blue abdomen.

Hi that is a lot of bugs, but I didn't see one that looked like it it was skinny, blue green and about an inch long

Damsel nymphs are an important food source for fish, especially in stillwaters. You should have a few imitations in your flybox if you fish lakes or ponds.

When I was a kid, in that same area, we called them "Devil's darning needles".

one of these beautys flew into the room I was working in this past Thurs. The one with the jet black wings and neon blue body. This post drew my attention to wondering which one it was. Checking out rockworm's google I found it was calopteryx maculata. Since I now live in East Kentucky,I shall be tying these according to the above advice.