Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly123

Thinking about building my first fly rod

I'm thinking about building a 2wt. This will be the first rod I have build so i have a lot of questions. First I need the blank. Thinking about an american tackle matrix 2wt 2pc blank. Maybe? Also how does the blank size and the reel seat size match up? The diameter of the blank is .269 but most reel seats are .400 Also, should i use a foldable hook keeper or a normal 1?

Thanks that helped a lot. Also, what should the grip diameter of a 2wt be? I find that on some rod the grip is a bit bulky

You have embarked upon a great adventure...rod building is an immensely fun and satisfying way to enrich your fly fishing experience. Be careful, though - it is addictive! :)

Flytire steered you right with the link to www.rodbuilding.org, as you've already seen. I would add another, related recommendation: Buy Tom Kirkman's book Rod Building Guide: Fly, Spinning, Casting, Trolling. There are a number of good books out there on getting started building rods, and I own a number of those, including Tom's, which I consider to be the best. Tom is the moderator/owner/guru/whatever you call it of the rodbuilding.org site, as it happens. :)

As for your question about the "correct" grip diameter for a 2 wt., the answer is: as big or as small as you want it to be. That is the beauty of building your own rod--you decide what looks and feels right to you, and make it so. :) Most beginning rod builders buy pre-formed grips (as opposed to buying individual cork rings and turning their own grip on a lathe). If you like a slimmer grip, I would suggest buying an "ultrafine" size grip. If your pre-formed grip still feels too bulky, you can sand it down to the diameter that feels right to you. Just use a very fine sandpaper, and go slow to make sure you keep the shape even. Tom's book. Consult rodbuilding.org for more specifics on how to do this.

Good luck and have fun!

this is cool, I made my first fly rod a year ago, it is fairly easy and rewarding. as for your reel seat question, there are things called arbors that you put on the blank to take up the gap. you can also use thin masking tape.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

If you make one, you will make many more. Actually it's more satisfying than buying a new really expensive one, for sure.

I don't put hook keepers on mine and grip diameter is personal preferance. If you really get serious you may start turning your own grips. Then you can make whatever size and diameter you like best.

I started out building up a blank that was given to me, now I have more than 60 in the rafters. That's not counting the ones I have built for others. It is the best thing to catch a fish on a rod you built casting a fly you tied connected to a leader you tied. Now if I can only figure out how to make the line myself.

If you want a REAL challenge, build a bamboo rod, but not from a blank :) You don't know fun, until you have to plane bamboo so fine you can barely see it!

Jaime