Fly Tying
GdubyaSmith

How do you Wade a River, Stream, or Creek???

I use a chest gore-tex wader, wader shoes with vibram sole (cause felt soles need much care to avoid seaweed contamination) and a wader staff (in fact it's a hiking stick).

The techniques are the same said above, I really guess the secret is go slowly and carefully.

I've made a post on my blog about wade fishing, check it out: http://www.fuzzyflies.com/2013/04/pesca-de-vadeio.html

Big Hug wink.png

I guess one of about a billion advantages of growing up fishing all the time was not being afraid of learning by doing. Need to cross the stream? Find a place that looks right and give it a try. Find out how to do it or how to fail. Either do it right, do it wrong and learn, or do it stupidly wrong and drown. In that case, you won't need to worry about it anymore. I know as a kid in the early trout season all we had was hip boots. Nobody wore waders. It was really REALLY cold when April trout stream water flowed in over the top of a boot, and it was also extremely embarassing- if there was anyone else around, believe me you got a few earfulls of derision and laughter. Later in spring and summer it was all wet wading so that variable ceased. Falling in, however, was treated with even more jabs than going top-over in boots! One learned early how to wade carefully and only when NEEDED.

the small creeks I fish now and in the past there was no choice but to wade. The water surface is many feet below the 'bank' and the bank is thickly overgrown in most places. These streams are mostly shallow and felt soles are a must in most areas. Bottom is slicker than black ice. I wade wet in the summer. It is way too hot to wear waders. I use canvas shoes with carpet glued to the bottom. Gravel and sand is a problem however........I would wear hip boots but there are a few places that are just too deep for them. A few even push the waders farther than I like. I don't like to get deeper than waist deep and prefer several inches less. The biggest problem areas are the head size rock. They are killers. I have never used one but a staff is almost an absolute must for me. They are a good way to get a broken ankle, leg, or worse. I hate the thought of carrying one though.

All the above comments are great and true, i have 2 things to add to what everyone else said.

1. Always check about the release that day if you are fishing a tailwater- this past season the Army Core of Engineers were supposed to release .085 that morning instead they released .85 and the water went from 59 cfs to 450 cfs in about an 1.5 hrs luckily only 1 person got hurt 1 guy that was wading in waist high water fell down and broke his hip. My friend and i had hiked about 1.5 miles downstream to a spot and got stranded after water rose to over 400 cfs and had to trespass to get back to safe land- scary.

2. Instead of investing over $100 in a wading staff just use a $2 used golf club they work great