Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Undertow

Line Question

So me and my buddy got into some fish night fishing last weekend. My friend lost a monster. Anyways we are hooked on night fishing. My friend is now looking at buying a 8wt and rio's glow in the dark line. I'm kind of skeptical of a glow in the dark line. Seems to me everything I have read about night fishing is the less light the better. Anyone have any thoughts on this line or perhaps used it?

Thanks

Undertow

I do quite a few night fly charters and only want my anglers to show up with ordinary floating lines (and usually advise them to bring old, beat up lines since they're going up against concrete and dock pilings where there's a good chance that something bad will happen to them). Where and how you're fishing will have a lot to do with your line needs.... We frequently over-line our rods by one line size since the night scene, for us, is a very close quarters proposition where you have difficulty loading your rod with only 20 to 30 feet of line off the tip of the rod. Although we're mostly sight fishing for tarpon and snook I really emphasize not striking at what they see but waiting until they feel the fish before reacting so being able to see the fly line is much less important for us than it would be for someone fishing in the dark (and we also have bridge lights and docklights helping us...).

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954)435-5666

I would consider giving the line a shot. When I fish at night I feel disadvantaged in that I miss those strikes where my only indication may be the line drift being altered and I can't see it in the dark.

I don't know where the "less light is better" idea came from, but some of the best night spots (both fresh and salt water) I've known have been around lighted areas where bait congregates. Other good areas have been in spots where car headlights occasionally flash across the water. I seriously doubt the line's gonna spook anything. FWIW - Maybe it's just me, but I'm a better caster in daylight than I am at night; that seems to indicate that there's a visual factor in my own casting mechanics. I'd certainly consider a more visible line under some circumstances.

I don't know where the "less light is better" idea came from,.................

POACHERS !!!!!!!!!tongue.png