Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Little bug

I found bass this week in the creek behind the new house on my first outing. I caught fish on a Sneaky Pete and a foam hopper pattern, so I wanted to try some downsized deer hair bugs. This one is on a #10 Mustad 37187.

DSC_0001_zps9224e881.jpg

The #6 37187 is sort of my standard bass bug hook for my area, so here's the #10 next to a #6:

DSC_0012_zps4c818873.jpg

Looks great! If you get more bream than bass, you could go up to a size 6.

I'm expecting this to be about the biggest I will want to go in the little creek by the house. The spot I caught was in the 9-10" range and I doubt they get a whole lot bigger in there.

Jeff, I used to fish a creek in Mississippi using #10 bugs and caught the heck out of bream and small bass. One day, I decided to bring my spinning rod and throw a plastic worm as the blowdowns had deeper water but I knew I would lose a sinking fly down in there. I caught the heck out of bass up to two pounds and that creek wasn't any wider than thirty feet with mostly shallow runs with deeper water in the turns and where the light current dug out around the blow downs. After I lost access to that place, I talked to a friend that loved fishing little creeks like that and he said I should have thrown a #4 popper to keep the bream away and the bigger bass would have come up. Not saying that would work on your creek but if you have any deeper holes where you can't see the bottom and you get tired of catching dinks, it may be worth a try. Although, I'm not one to give that advice as I often throw small bugs to keep my rod bent when a partner is throwing something larger to catch one or two fish...

Sounds like you have a nice little spot though, I wish I had a clear little creek by my house even to catch those beautiful red bellies.

Kirk

I like that little bug. Real Purdy! I normally use cork or foam in my small warmwater creeks but I have tied a couple of small hair bugs but I never seem to get around to throwing them for some reason. I bet they will work well though. I need to dig thru my box and tie it on.

Good afternoon Cream,

Wow! Incredable spinning and stacking.

I do have a question about your tying techniques. What are you using for a packer? I have a brassie that works well, however I am looking for something that will give me a tighter fly.

Question 2 is about fishing a looser or a tighter packed hair fly. Do you find a differance if the hair is not as tight? I have read a couple of articals about it, however I am not seeing any difference.

Thanks for the photos.

Michael