Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
zOnk

Worm Rattle -- Size Question

Has anyone ever used these worm rattles from Barlow Tackle?

I just wanted to order one pack of 100 for all purpose uses on size #8 and up streamers.

Normally in cases like this i'd pick the size in the middle but if the run small the large would work I think.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Glass-Worm-Rattles-P918.aspx

I use mostly #3 for smaller patterns but prefer the larger plastic for durability and more noise.

I get my rattles from Janns netcrafts. They have what you need and great services you can count on.

I prefer the plastic ones with straps to attach to fly. The glass is also a lot more fragile and always break when you hit a hard objects.

I've used glass rattles from various sources over the years, but can't recall if I purchased any from Barlows. Like Phish, I also use the plastic rattles, and prefer them to glass, as they are louder to me, and more durable. But, I'm generally tying larger size flies when I use rattles, like in the size 2 to 4/0 range.

I've purchased many times from both Jann's & Barlows, and never had any issue with either.

You may know this already, but I like to use rattles primarily in 2 types of flies, poppers/sliders & bend backs. Some types of popper materials will make the noise louder than other types, the harder it is the better it transmits the sound. With Bend Back styles, (or Zonkers) I prefer to enclose the rattles in mylar tubing & material such as EZ Body. The EZ Body holds it's shape better than just mylar tubing alone, and I like to epoxy coat the body. IMO, constructed this way enclosed in the epoxy amplifies the noise from the rattles, even the smaller glass rattles, plus of course improves the durability factor. I've not used any of the UV cure materials, but would expect that would also work if it's preferred over using epoxy.

In the past, I tried wrapping rattles with various materials to secure & cover them and it seemed to muffle the noise, which is hardly the point of using the rattles. dry.png

I haveforego the mylar tubing in exchange i tie on piece of silicone and use the glass rattles if i break one i simply change it. So far it works great this way. It is also cuts down on tying tim e.

... Like Phish, I also use the plastic rattles, and prefer them to glass, as they are louder to me, and more durable. ..

I too prefer the plastic rattles..

I have used "Woodies Rattler Inserts" for about 20 years in many styles of bass and saltwater patterns flies.

http://www.woodiesrattlers.com/html/rattle_inserts.ht

Woodies Rattler Inserts!

I like 'em, because these plastic rattles:

are easier to tie in;

do not slip;

form a more pleasingly shaped fly, due to the option of a tapered pointed end and a flat end;

can be trimmed;

they don't break;

and according to many, make more noise in the water...

I've always disliked glass rattles, especially hated the double blunt ends of the glass rattles. I find them difficult to taper and achieve smooth tapers on shrimp and other patterns.

Bowfin47