Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly123

Colors to wear while fishing?

Im not sure that it really matters but i would say don't wear anything dark. The fish will see you much more if you appear to them as a dark silhouette in the bright sky. So im going to have to disagree with your grampy (no offense) and say your best bet would to wear white or any other light color, it will match the sky better. Like i say im not sure if it really makes a difference.

against a dark background such as trees, woods, etc along a stream, it only makes sense to wear browns/tans/greens to blend into the background. That said, I see enough jackwagons here in Pennsylvania wearing their blaze orange deer hunting clothes in the early trout season to know it doesn't matter to stocked trout. I just have a personal preference to blend in, within reason.

I would say a flouro pink budgie smuggler and machete on a belt would be best, this way no one will fish within 100 m of you.

Never seen a green, olive or real tree heron. Whites creams and tans seem natures colours for predators that stay top side. Heron, osprey, kingfisher, sea eagle.

Good point, but I have seen many Green Herons (Butorides virescens) which are green, brown, and gray, and also many Great Blue Herons (Ardea herodias) which are decidedly olive in hue.

That, however, does not jive at all with the White Egrets I see all the time fishing in the streams. They are very very white.

I've never seen any of these birds that were 6'4" tall either! rolleyes.gif

Wear what you like, but for me I'm in agreement with Joel. I generally wear clothing to try to blend in with the back ground, natural subdued colors, or yes even camo. May not make a difference one way or the other, but gives me a bit more confidence. I believe that movements can be more detrimental to fishing than the actual colors we wear, so I also try to move as stealthily as possible, making as little noise as I can & moving slowly & deliberately. If I'm wading, I don't splash & kick through the water like a bull moose chasing a cow either!

The various water birds, even the white egrets stand motionless, and move very deliberately, and they're fairly close to the water. Angles make a world of difference in what fish see & what they don't, or what they may react to.

When I was a kid I caught plenty of fish while wearing white tee shirts.

But, I feel I have more success now, & with some bigger fish, by attempting to blend in as best I can.

I know like this I wear the same clothes fishing as I do bow hunting and I started doing it when I was carp fishing and noticed carp getting spooked by me in a blue T shirt nothing special but it was a solid color since then I have experimented with other solid colors to the same result mind you I was very careful to not allow my shadow to get to the water yet the solid colors would put fish down long before the camo did since then I switched to camo I also checked into plaid and checkered my conclusions have become that the prints break up your silhouete or solid shape allowing you to blend into the background better

Since I am rarely, if ever, fishing within the line of sight of fish, I don't worry about clothes color. I wear bright colors to better reflect the sun and keep the temps on my back down, a little. It also makes me more visible to the air boaters that rip through the reeds where I am sometimes fishing.

There is one stocked small still water I know of where the best colour to wear is florescent yellow. They rear their own fish, when they feed them the guy who does it wears a florescent yellow jacket. The fish flock around expecting food.

Generally I've found movement to be more important than colour in trying to stay invisible.

Cheers,

C.

While everyone is focused on what to wear that the fish won't notice.... down in the Everglades we're focused on what won't draw the mosquitoes and other biters. My usual advice is to wear loose fitting, lightweight clothing that covers as much skin as possible (yep, long sleeves and trousers even in August... and no flip flops under any circumstances. I also remind all my anglers not to wear any dark colors (black, blue, green) since the bugs will come sit on anyone wearing those colors first.... (don't ask me why, but I've seen it over and over again....).

We're lucky enough to be pretty much mosquito free during the dry season -November through April most years (if it starts raining -a week later you get skeeters). This sort of stuff is why our tourist season begins in December (November you've got the 'Glades to yourself....) and lasts through April....

By the way, every time someone shows up to fish with me wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops my first thought is "brave soul" and we try to make the best of it.

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-10925-0-07679300-1372484288_thumb.j

That outfit does surprise me.....I have always seen him in a camo diaper that takes care of his incontenance.