Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Randyflycaster

Trouble with CDC dubbing loop

I'm trying to tie a Petitjean Emerger. I'm following the instructions in the Benchside Into to Fly Tying. Whenever I try to put a CDC feather into a dubbing loop, the feather never seems to stay in the loop. Instead, I end up wrapping the CDC the traditional way.

Why can't I get the feather to stay in the dubbing loop.

Thanks,

Randy

Just wrap it the normal way. In my opinion a dubbing loop on a fly like that is overkill. If you want to use the dubbing loop anyway though, just strip the fibers from the stem of the CDC. It also helps to put a little wax on the thread that's making up your dubbing loop.

If you watch Marc tie most of the time he doesn't use dubbing loops any more. He splits the thread instead. Usually he uses a Magic Tool to hold the fibres while he places them. You can do the same with a bulldog clip.

If it is as you spin the loop up that the feather is kicked out then the rate of spin is too slow. Make your dubbing loop twice the size you need. Put the feather fibres in, then pinch below them. Build up the twist in the bottom section, below the pinch. Then let go of the pinch while holding the loop under tension. This will spin the loop up much faster and grab the fibres rather than kick them out.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

C.

Hi Randy,

Like some have already stated a "split-thread" dubbing loop will hold the CDC fibers better. OR if using a standard dubbing loop we like to put a bit of our Tacky Wax on one side of the loop to hold the fibers in place until we spin the loop to better anchor them in place. Take care & ...

There is not need to split the thread..... It takes way to long and the only reason you usually use a dubbing loop is for strength and direction of dubbing. What I usually do is just tie in the tip of your CDC at the head the fly or wherever your going to dub. Then, place a half hitch at the base of your CDC's tie in point. Hold your cdc and thread together, using your rotary vise to twist them. Then wrap around the hook. It's easy and accomplishes the same goal as a dubbing loop.

Hope, speed and wax - those are my tools handling CDC. I never ever split the thread, always using dubbing loop and magic tool (or bulldog grip). Just rinse & repeat, success might be around the next corner!