Fly Tying
Crackleback

July 2013 Flies From The Vise

Some quickly made blue spey thingies before the sun went down...

JAM!! Amazing my friend, per usual!

I got some vise time FINALLY.

Electric Chicken Musky Fly

SAM_1467_zps6d6969c0.jpg

Black/Red Flashy Bug

SAM_1469_zps3da1fe50.jpg

It's terrestrial time. I've been tying for almost 5 years, and after getting my order for J Stockard with some foam, I took a run at some hoppers and Madam X. These aren't so hard after all. Not sure why they intimidated me so much.

post-24309-0-97452600-1373428514_thumb.jpg

Lol hairwing! The whip finish i find i have rotate the hook up...do love my up eye hooks and the advantage of hitching flies...

ChefBen, awesome flies! Welcome back, off to work with you *whipcrack*...

Crackaig, they look really nice - really something that would work nicely here (wondering if we could get a recipe for fly of the season?) hmmm you guys all nice work!

No Problem.

Hook: Wet fly size 8 to 14, medium to heavy wire.

Thread: UTC 70 Black

Tag: Fine Gold Tinsel

Tail: GP Tippet (Not too many fibres, about 8 for the size 8 reducing as the hook size reduces)

Rib: Gold wire

Body: Amber Seal's Fur or sub.

Body Hackle: Dry fly quality red game cock hackle, Palmered over front half of body.

Head Hackles: One turn of kingfisher blue dyed cock hackle. Then a hen pheasant wing outer covert feather dyed firey brown.

The hint of blue showing through the front hackle seems to make the difference, I tied some up without it and they just didn't work anything like the same. If you tie the body hackle in at the mid point of the shank and make four turns forward, then make six turns of wire over the entire body the difference in pitch of two means the wire crosses the hackle a few times. It makes the body hackle much stronger.

Cheers,

C.

I didn't have all of the right materials for a Royal. I substituted Ring Neck Pheasant Tail and Grizzly Dun Hackle but I thought it turned out alright...Royal Coachman (Variant) ~ "Darth Maulman"

DarthMaulman.jpgDarthMaulman2.jpg

Thanks Crackaig! Good looking fly pattern.

Here is a Mikes Meal Ticket (articulated) in Neapolitan ice cream flavour.

P7102472_zps5e282386.jpg

I was trying out a few different color combinations, on a "few hooks", last night just too see what they looked like. First the color that would be the ribbing went on the hook then tied off at the back but left attached. Then the main body color tied in at the front worked to back then back to front again, a couple half hitches, then cut. The rib color brought forward then made into a head. Some will get more work and others could probably fish they way they are. L-R= White/Pink Rib, Red/Yellow Rib, Brown/Black Rib, Brown/Orange Rib, Black/Orange Rib.

Anyways just had fun and thought this picture looked good.

dressedhooks.jpg

Good colours there. I prefer my buzzers slim so would probably go up once only with body thread then rib but that's only personal taste.

Neato Gdubya! You might want to leave a bit of room at the eye so you can tie in the hackle without making a massive head.

Replacing goo charlies here as i gave them all away to a buddy fishing the skinny water, tiemco 811s size 6 and 8, now for the bodies i wrap with silver tinsel, then wrap with the body material such as mini diamond braid, then i coat with ccg and let cure before doing the wings. Photo doesn't really show it but by just adding the silver tinsels under the body it gets a nice glow.

I do them in shallow with beadchain and also deep with tungsten eye. Wings are blended Ep and Silky fibers with bits of flash, the white one is glow in the dark.

P7112482_zps0708541c.jpg

P7112478_zps9bb86d30.jpg

This one is hot pink lazer wrap.

P7112475_zps17797094.jpg

Then i like blue, made a huge whoopsie on the wing and it collapsed a bit and made the head ugly, been watching too much baseball.

P7112474_zpsbf02be89.jpg

Jam have you got a stock of actual laser wrap or a shop still selling it? A fly popular here used green laser wrap but now folk try to cut up kids toy beach balls as the fly shops don't do it. the kids ballss are the samr stuff and cheaper but more hassel.

Jam have you got a stock of actual laser wrap or a shop still selling it? A fly popular here used green laser wrap but now folk try to cut up kids toy beach balls as the fly shops don't do it. the kids ballss are the samr stuff and cheaper but more hassel.

Yo Piker20, i managed to stock up on orange and pink last time i was in BC, the shop owner said it was the very last of it! Amazing material. I think there is a new one called flex film but it has an adhesive back and not those glowing edges ( fiber optic effect ).

http://adiposflytying.com/equipment/flytying-egret-flexi-wrap.html

Mm back to stealing beach balls and cutting strips then. The fly here is called hulk muddler and uses a strip for the body which is snipped into on the sides all along so when wound it flairs out and the fish seem to love it.

Mm back to stealing beach balls and cutting strips then. The fly here is called hulk muddler and uses a strip for the body which is snipped into on the sides all along so when wound it flairs out and the fish seem to love it.

Awesome, just saw the pattern looks like it could be killer for chinooks, interesting!!! Must find green!