Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Streamlined slider

I saw on Pat Cohen's site that he ties one version of a slider with a sleek, streamlined body/head. I wanted to try that out for myself so I cranked one out. This was my first attempt, on a #1 Mustad 37187. The tail is a dull green/yellow marabou with some holographic Flashabou and Krystal Flash. The body is yellow/orange deer hair on the belly and olive with brown barring on the back. I like the brown barring against olive for the subtle look, I think it looks a little more natural than bold black barring. This was also my first bug using Ultra GSP 210 denier thread, that stuff is strong!

P7020028_zps375566b5.jpg

P7030044_zps2a2b2352.jpg

awesome hair work!

I use a fly that I also copied the shape of pats slider but I cut it on a little more angle on front so it dips under water just a little.

also I added a skin side up rabbit tail & lots of long flash on top of that behind the marabou tail.

on the 1st swim a big pike sheared through 12lb maxima on the bite using a sucker colored bug