Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

dubbing garment fur

The issue of the dubbing making a rope next to the thread is because you use too much at a time.

Use less at then do it multiple times.

Dubbing is one skill that takes time to master.

Also, a little trick. Place the dubbing on your index finger then the thread an finally the thub. Use preasure when rolling the dubbing and only twist one way. (Right handed twist clock wise).

You stated that you cut the fur into short pieces, how short. A quarter inch is short enough, and make a few cuts longer. Then blend these together. Instead of finger blending, use a quart jar. Place all your dubbing in the jar, fill half way with water, and shake the heck out of it for about 30 seconds. Then line a large tea strainer with a paper towel, and pour the water and dubbin into the paper towel. Now you know what your dubbing will look like wet.

Squeeze out the excess water, and spread out the dubbing on the towel and set aside to dry.

Try blending the fur with some yarn. You can vary both the texture and color of the yarn to create different types of dubbing.

You said your using garment fur, do you know just what type of fur it is?

If the dubbing fibers are too short, and you are twisting them on when they are parallel to the thread, both of these factors may cause what you have.

I have trapped and contributed to the fur market for most of my life, and I know how a lot of the garments are made/ presented. If you are using a "shaved garment ", in which they shave the guard hairs and occasionally the top part of the underfur(dubbing). Depending on how far your garment piece is shaved( if it is shaved), this may affect the ability of the dubbing to roll on the thread. By the trouble that your having, it sounds like it is a combination of short, non-fuzzy dubbing fibers, and using way too much.

AnI've always heard that if you think you are using too much, you most deffinately are.

Hi, thanks, I don't know what kind of fur this is, from the construction it may be synthetic because there doesn't to be any hide just a patrch of fabric similar to corduroy. I take pictures of the fur and the backing. I will do some more dubbing and not cut it so short.

That second picture, showing the back of the piece, does look like a hide, or strips of fur sewn together. These photos may help with your dubbing issures:

Start with a small loose patch of material. About an inch and a half by 3/4. This patch should be loose enough to read through it.

Spread that patch over 3 to 4" of waxed thread, and twist in ONE direction only. Your resulting "noodle" should allow the thread color to show through. Then wind this on the hook. If you want the body to be thicker, wind the dubbed thread over itself, rather than start with a thick noodle.

post-12074-0-98161300-1375025801_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-39899600-1375025834_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-22602100-1375025840_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-72773800-1375025860_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-78640300-1375025870_thumb.jpg

Yes that hide is shaved. But it is not shaved too short to the point of where you can't dub it. Just make sure you cut off the fur down to the skin. And don't use a lot.

Let us know how you do. Remember, less is more.

Hi I tried using was, I think I may be able to make a passable body, how strong it will be can't say but it is a start I guess. By the way the pictures of the piece of fur I posted, does anybody know what it is or if it is fur

It is either beaver, muskrat, or mink, or otter. My best guess would be either beaver or muskrat

still can't dub, it is driving me mad. No matter what I do I can't get the dubbing around the thread it rolls right of even with wax I too clumsy for the loop

Since your still struggling I'll chime in. Before I embarass myself I know absolutly nothing about dubbing garmet fur. Ive always used pre blends or synthetics. Judjing by the photo is looks like theres alot of under fir on the garmet, and as a whole it looks like a difficult fur to dub. So heres a tip to trygrab the fur bu its ends and trim the fur low right at the hide. Still holding the ends gently pull at the trimmed end. Smaller finer fur that should be eiser to dub will pull out of the longer hair.