Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

dubbing garment fur

If there is a fly shop in your area, perhaps they could help you learn to dub. Failing that, if you know of any other tiers where you live, maybe try to get in touch with them for some hands-on instruction. I wish I could think of some other tips to offer, other than the excellent suggestions others have provided. I hope it works out for you.

that is my problem there are no shops and I don't know any tiers. The fishing in my area is not the best plus it is getting quite built up

Horseheads, NY? The headwaters of Catherine Creek? Gateway to the Finger Lakes? No good fly fishing? That doesn't compute! You may have to drive 30 to 40 miles, but there's fly fishing all around you (don't forget northern PA). Small spring creeks, big rivers and spring fed natural lakes.... I have to drive 3 hours to get to any trout fishing, 5 hours to get to anything good.

I'm sure there are still some fly tiers in the Elmira area. Mike Hogue of Badger Creek Fly Tying is just North of you near Ithaca. If I lived that close, I'd drive up to see him a couple of times a summer.

Hi I know there is good fishing not to far, but I can no longer drive and am out of touch so I don't know where to go and convincing my wife to take me can be a problem. She is good about getting me around so I don't like to make to many demands

on the dubbing some progress, I was looking at utubes and found a tip and it is helping, now it is just praise. The tier said he moistens his fingers and uses a lot of pressure.

Glad to hear you are making progress. Once you get the knack, it is easy. A little wax on the thread, dub small amounts of fur at a time, moisten fingertips and apply lots of pressure, spinning in only one direction. You'll get it. smile.png