Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowmike

Fly Tying Etiquette

Just wondering you commercial tyers opinion on this type of thing.

My supervisor at work is going on a trip to Montana and gave me 6 different hoppers to tie up. They are similar to the chernobyl ant. I told him I would tie him up some of them for sure. I mean we all want to get on the good side of our supervisors right.

I began to tie the patterns for him and was thinking to myself that what I was doing was wrong. So i took the pattern he gave me and switched it a bit but still ended up with about the same pattern. He told me that he was given them from the local fly shop out there but since he was spending two weeks there he wanted to be sure he had an ample supply.

Should I feel guilty that I am tying these flies for him and copying another tyers pattern. I would never take another tyers pattern and market it as my own, but if a customer has a request and has a sample pattern, should I refuse to tie them.

Personally I would not be upset if one of my customers from out of the area, gave one of my patterns to his local guy to mimic. It would save the customer time, and a couple bucks shipping. In the end I feel customers always return to their favorite tyer. I am happy to get my customers into tying and even teach them how to tie my custom stuff. Just don't feel right about tying these for some reason. Maybe I am nuts.

Purely and plainly very strongly emotional IMO: The flies you tie are still copies of the original. If the original tier has some special mojo in his/her doing, you cannot copy that 100%.

10 underhand casts and you're forgiven my son.

The fly shop is making enough money off of him already, I'm sure they wouldn't care if you sold them to him.

It's a non-issue. Stealing credit for someone else's idea is dishonest, but you're not doing that. I'm not gonna stop tying muddlers because Don Gapen was the guy who invented the pattern. Besides, tying classic patterns is a good way to measure our mechanical skills.

i dont feel any guilt tying clouser minnows or leftys decievers or any other fly that is out there in the public domain.

there is no fly tying commandment that prohibits anybody from tying anybodies published fly pattern. i'd be happy if someone tied on a pattern ive tied and shared and caught some fish with it.

if you dont want to share your fly patterns with the fly tying community, dont publish them anywhere. (bigger names in the fly tying business are generous enough to share their knowledge)

if you are that guilty of tying someone else creation, do what you did by tweaking what your boss gave you to tie and tell him its a minor improvement. or hand them back to him and tell him it just wouldnt be right for you to tie someone elses flies. but dont be suprised when it comes time for that performance evaluation! smile.png

damn take a deep breath and take the money if hes paying you! smile.png

Yeah, just keep'em coming dude, guys above made some good points which I agree 100%.

As a comercial/production tier your bread and butter comes from common flies like in my instance dry flies like the adams, hendrickson, royal coachman, and black gnats the extras come from your own patterns so no you shouldn't feel guilty or turn away a customer over tying something they brought you to tie

Thanks guys. Guess I was being crazy by listening to your resposnes. I tie a ton of pheasant tails, and princes and never think twice about them. I guess the issue would arise if I were to take this pattern and try to sell it as my creation, which I am against so I am in the clear. Hope he slams some trout out there. I would give anything to get to go out there and fish. I think the trout in my area may run from a size 6 hopper, but according to him they love them out there.

Thanks again for the info needed to crank out 80 flies and take in some much needed cash. :)

As a comercial/production tier your bread and butter comes from common flies like in my instance dry flies like the adams, hendrickson, royal coachman, and black gnats the extras come from your own patterns so no you shouldn't feel guilty or turn away a customer over tying something they brought you to tie

I wholeheartedly agree with this & what the others have said. Unless you have more tying than you can handle, it's not a good idea to be turning down some work, based on some guilt you may feel, particularly when it's your boss who wants the flies! Now, if someone had given you some "secret" flies to reproduce, and told you not to divulge the pattern to anyone & you were tying them & selling them to others, that would be a different situation.

Here's a story for you about how things can work sometimes! When I was tying commercially, a friend of mine, also a commercial tier, told me I should send some of my flies to a well known & respected fly shop, for which he was already tying some patterns.

I contacted the shop, and after a little discussion, they said they would be interested in seeing some samples. I tied some sample flies & sent them. Some of the flies were my own patterns, some were patterns from other sources that I tied regularly, but were not generally being produced commercially.

They put some of the flies in their catalog & on their website.

However, I was not contacted about tying the flies. Instead, they contacted another tier, and sent my samples flies to the other tier.

Guess who the other tier was! My friend! They even used my flies to take pictures for their catalog!

I would not have known, had my friend not called me & let me know. He was going to decline tying the flies, but I told him to go ahead. No sense turning down the work.

IMO, it was a dirty thing to do, but unfortunately, it happens.

After I got over the initial shock, I was happy they thought enough for my samples to use them for photos!

Life goes on!

there wouldn't be many flies in shops if we were afraid to copy another ones pattern, its simply reproduction. just don't try to take credit for the original pattern.

The fish he catches with YOUR flies will be more memorable to him than fish caught on flies he just bought in some shop somewhere tied by someone in God-knows-where.

Sounds to me as if you were having some remorse about potentially taking away a tiny sale from the shop. They're just in it for the money, so as a commercial tyer you should be too.

Tie the flies to the best of your ability and stay on the good side of your boss.

just don't try to take credit for the original pattern.

That's about all anyone can ask for.

Cheers,

C.

Since I've been tying commercially (1979) for a few years I have some thoughts about this as well. I have no problem with anyone tying my patterns if they choose. The only time I have a problem with it is when one shop or other labels them with my name (as though I'm the one that tied them...) or when someone claims one of my original signature patterns as their own (and that's only happened once...). The only outfit that does that legally is the company I work for (and have a contract with). Other than that -have at it, I consider it a compliment..

Whenever I'm doing someone else's pattern I always make it very clear that it's my version of someone else's pattern and I try to always credit the original tyer when I do so. Since I'm a saltwater tyer it's a bit smaller world than the one freshwater tyers operate in so you'll have to take that into account. In all the years I've been tying for one shop or another I've only wound up on the short end in one instance (and I still won't talk about that publicly). By and large the fly tying and fly fishing side of things are some of the most honorable folks around.