Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KOKOEK9

bugger hackle

I found this on ebay, is this hackle to narrow for smaller size wooly bugger type flies say from size 6 under, thanks. I would rather get a whole saddle than pay almost as much for a pack with just a few feathers what do you think

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360692844538&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1120

IMO just buy from a reputable Fly Tying supplier and don't futz around with ebay questionable materials. If it's not what you want, you have just wasted money, not saved money. It's already at $13 plus $3 shipping, so what would you have saved ? Based on the wording of the post, whoever is selling it isn't much of a fly tyer, more of a craft person. From what I can see of the picture on ebay that hackle is not too small for size 6 and under, but you might be disappointed in the number of quality hackles you get.

If you can't go to a shop yourself to look through materials, call a couple well known shops and ask to talk to someone who knows about feathers for buggers.

In the end, you can't go wrong with the Whiting bugger packs, and you would be very surprized at how many feathers there actually are in them, it's not "just a few". You pay a little more, but the work has already been done for you and you know exactly what you are getting. For someone in your situation it seems worth the cost rather than spending hours of uncertainty wondering if ebay feathers will be what you want them to be. Just buy the right stuff to begin with and be done.

just buy the right stuff as joel has said. youll be more satisfied in the long run.

i dont trust ebay for tying materials (i suppose there are good deals and stuff)

local fly shop first and then try an online shop like jstockard

a whiting bugger pack is only $20 and is really good quality

I'm a bit different, and have purchased from ebay sellers many times. But, I've been tying for a long time, so I can usually tell if a saddle like that is something I can use, and most of the flies I tie are large size bass or saltwater patterns. IMO, that saddle would be fine for tying some types of flies, and even buggers. However, it's likely the hackle fibers will be longer than you'll want once you get smaller than size 6, and you probably won't have many feathers suitable for size 6. If you're tying size 4 & larger, it's probably going to be better suited. For the prices that some ebay hackles are getting, you can do better & get better value for your money spent.

I used to raise my own Barred Rocks (grizzly) and they were great for tying big bass & saltwater flies. But, the hackles were not like those that are genetically produced.

If you're tying big Seaducers, Deceivers or other streamers where you want that type of long, thin hackles in the tail, then many of those ebay saddles, which are generally barn yard variety, are not a bad deal if you can get them at a good price. That particular saddle, IMO isn't worth more than about $10, as there are very limited numbers of feathers.

You could buy 3 packs of strung saddle hackle, and get about the same number of usable feathers.

I have to agree with what the others have said, buy a better saddle & in the long run, you'll get more hackles & of better quality.

I found this on ebay, is this hackle to narrow for smaller size wooly bugger type flies say from size 6 under, thanks. I would rather get a whole saddle than pay almost as much for a pack with just a few feathers what do you think

It's tricky to say, since we can only view the material from a computer. It's always best to examine it closely (hence supporting local shops), but there are many times when it's not that easy. I love going to the various fly tying shows and seeing the various products, but when you need something now, that's when you have to fall back on the hackle you've trusted for years (Clearwater Hackle, Collins Hackle, etc.). If you have a few dollars to drop, try this hackle and send us some feedback via this forum; there is a new hackle guy in my area (Alsdorf Genetic Hackle) that is starting to put some great stuff out, thus I have bought a few from him to see how it looks. Good luck in your search!

TC

IMO just buy from a reputable Fly Tying supplier and don't futz around with ebay questionable materials. If it's not what you want, you have just wasted money, not saved money. It's already at $13 plus $3 shipping, so what would you have saved ? Based on the wording of the post, whoever is selling it isn't much of a fly tyer, more of a craft person. From what I can see of the picture on ebay that hackle is not too small for size 6 and under, but you might be disappointed in the number of quality hackles you get.

If you can't go to a shop yourself to look through materials, call a couple well known shops and ask to talk to someone who knows about feathers for buggers.

In the end, you can't go wrong with the Whiting bugger packs, and you would be very surprized at how many feathers there actually are in them, it's not "just a few". You pay a little more, but the work has already been done for you and you know exactly what you are getting. For someone in your situation it seems worth the cost rather than spending hours of uncertainty wondering if ebay feathers will be what you want them to be. Just buy the right stuff to begin with and be done.

This is all you need to know! I've tied a ton of buggers on a Whiting bugger pack.

That's a really nice-looking saddle for buggers and saltwater stuff as well. I'm not familiar with bugger packs, but if all the feathers are the same size, I'd definitely prefer a whole saddle for variety's sake. Just don't expect to get it for $12.50. Judging from the early interest on that particular saddle, it's most likely gonna be in the neighborhood of $25- $30. More if the bidders get carried away. There are some terrific deals on eBay if you do your homework and exercise caution. I buy stuff there all the time, and I've rarely been disappointed.

I purchased several Whiting grizzly bugger packs from an ebay seller awhile back. His price was $15 each with free shipping. Now, they seem to range in price from about $17 to $25 plus shipping. You do have to shop around for the best price. I've bought them for as low as $10, but those are few & far between.

IMO, the bugger packs are a good value, and the feather sizes are not all the same. However, like anything, (saddles, capes, strung packs, etc.) there are limited numbers of feathers suitable for each hook size, so don't expect to tie a lot of a single size from one pack. Easily, several dozen buggers of different sizes could be tied if you're tying in the 8 to 4 hook range, with perhaps a few smaller or larger.

Peter, you may be correct about that price. Seems to me that some of what I've seen on ebay gets sold for a lot more than what I might be willing to pay. However, even though the hair extension fad seems to be waning, I expect some are not being purchased for fly tying. I guess it boils down to what folks are willing to pay. blink.png

Peter, you may be correct about that price. Seems to me that some of what I've seen on ebay gets sold for a lot more than what I might be willing to pay. However, even though the hair extension fad seems to be waning, I expect some are not being purchased for fly tying. I guess it boils down to what folks are willing to pay. blink.png

Yeah, according to my wife, (who knows more about this stuff than I do) the extension craze is pretty much over. There are still a lot of dealers trying to sell feathers for last year's prices, but my guess is there aren't gonna be many takers. Maybe there'll be some deals around when the smoke clears; somebody's gonna get stuck with a lot of feathers. I agree that a lot of eBay stuff can go for unrealistic prices. If there's early interest from more than one bidder on an item, I don't even bother watching it. If it's just one bid, (or better yet, no bids) sometimes you can steal it in the last few seconds. The people who get stuck are usually the ones who don't know their prices and get caught up in bidding wars.

The people who get stuck are usually the ones who don't know their prices and get caught up in bidding wars.

Yep, I've bid on items that got crazy out of hand with prices. Some I guess just don't like to lose, even if it means paying more than they should. I'm nuts, but not stupid! rolleyes.gif

Hi, thanks for your advise, I agree that the best way is a local shop however there are none in my area and I can't drive to an area where there is a shop so I am dependent on ebay. so many of you have suggested whiting bugger pack I guess I'll do that. what about hairline are there bugger packs good, that is what I have know. I am having trouble palmering but I don't know if it is the hackle or me. One question about Collins hackle. I bought a couple neck from a grower in pine city NY by the name of Charlie Collins this was around 1990 or so could that be him