Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dryfly purist

The rise.......... (man i wish i had a 300mm or a 400mm lens)

A rising trout shot with a Nikon 70-200mm f2,8 VRll. I had to crop the picture a lot and i really wish i had a more powerful lens so i could get much closer but this was the best i could do.

It´s really hard to get a good focus on the distance i shot this picture..........

9253495013_8a921b8641_b.jpg

9253467601_33ca8f927c_b.jpg

9253462581_602298033c_b.jpg

Terje

Terje-

Those are great photos. Yes, at those distances, focusing is a difficult problem. It appears that you shot it with the lens wide open, and a fast shutter speed (notice the droplets in the 2nd & 3rd photo) early in the morning or late in the evening (sun angle). But the image is in focus by the way!

If you want more distance, instead of buying another lens ($$$$$), you might look at a 1.4x or 2.0x tele-converter. I have a 2x t-c by Tamron, that doubles my 70-300mm focal length, and a lot less expensive than another lens. With a t-c, you will lose about 2 f-stops on aperture, and the autofocus feature may or may not work because of the reduced light hitting the sensor. I usually manually focus at those extreme distances anyway, so the loss of AF is not an issue with me. My t-c ran about $254 for your information.

Really enjoy your photos!

Bill

It looks like its finally time to swap the lens for the rod. That fish was looking for some duster fibres. Great pics forget the zoom lens and just catch them so you'll only need a 30mm then.

Terje-

Those are great photos. Yes, at those distances, focusing is a difficult problem. It appears that you shot it with the lens wide open, and a fast shutter speed (notice the droplets in the 2nd & 3rd photo) early in the morning or late in the evening (sun angle). But the image is in focus by the way!

If you want more distance, instead of buying another lens ($$$$$), you might look at a 1.4x or 2.0x tele-converter. I have a 2x t-c by Tamron, that doubles my 70-300mm focal length, and a lot less expensive than another lens. With a t-c, you will lose about 2 f-stops on aperture, and the autofocus feature may or may not work because of the reduced light hitting the sensor. I usually manually focus at those extreme distances anyway, so the loss of AF is not an issue with me. My t-c ran about $254 for your information.

Bill

Thanks a lot, Bill :-) :-)

I have been thinking of a TC and have just tested the Nikon TC 20Elll but it is a bit soft and not as good as i hoped it was but by all means it´s better than nothing. It´s very expensive in Norway (about 600$). If i choose a TC i think i will try the Nikon 1,7x and look for a used one.

The 300mm ff2,8 VRll is so expensive that i have to win the lottery to be able to by it :-) :-) ...... the 400mm is also way out of reach :-)

I might look for a used 300mm f2,8 without VR as it is as good optically and you more or less have to use a tripod anyway.

Thanks again for your kind comment and good advice :-)

Terje

It looks like its finally time to swap the lens for the rod. That fish was looking for some duster fibres. Great pics forget the zoom lens and just catch them so you'll only need a 30mm then.

:-) :-) :-) ....Thanks, Piker20 :-)

Terje

Terje-

Bill

I have been thinking of a TC and have just tested the Nikon TC 20Elll but it is a bit soft and not as good as i hoped it was but by all means it´s better than nothing. It´s very expensive in Norway (about 600$). If i choose a TC i think i will try the Nikon 1,7x and look for a used one.

The 300mm ff2,8 VRll is so expensive that i have to win the lottery to be able to by it :-) :-) ...... the 400mm is also way out of reach :-)

I might look for a used 300mm f2,8 without VR as it is as good optically and you more or less have to use a tripod anyway.

Terje

Yes, TC's can be a bit soft in image. Also, I very rarely use VR (or IS as Canon calls it). If I'm shooting hand held, I'll use a faster shutter speed to compensate.

Tamron does make TC's to fit Nikon lenses if that will help you. I've used Tamron, Sigma, and Canon lenses for years, and Tamron is a good quality lens. Hope you find that 300 or 400 that you're looking for.

Bill

Terje, as always; very nice pics! :)If your camera has the ability to switch between FX and DX, why not just switch to DX format and take advantage of the 1.5 multiplier? These new sensors have more than an ample supply of pixels, which will allow for the extra reach and maintain image quality. Save those dollars for other things that you may really need, as your 70-200mm would have the same field of view as a 105-300mm lens in the DX mode. Hope that helps some. :)

Terje-

Bill

Terje

Yes, TC's can be a bit soft in image. Also, I very rarely use VR (or IS as Canon calls it). If I'm shooting hand held, I'll use a faster shutter speed to compensate.

Tamron does make TC's to fit Nikon lenses if that will help you. I've used Tamron, Sigma, and Canon lenses for years, and Tamron is a good quality lens. Hope you find that 300 or 400 that you're looking for.

Bill

Thanks, Bill :-)

Terje

Terje, as always; very nice pics! :)If your camera has the ability to switch between FX and DX, why not just switch to DX format and take advantage of the 1.5 multiplier? These new sensors have more than an ample supply of pixels, which will allow for the extra reach and maintain image quality. Save those dollars for other things that you may really need, as your 70-200mm would have the same field of view as a 105-300mm lens in the DX mode. Hope that helps some. smile.png

Thanks a lot, Ben :-)

Nikon D800 can switch from FX to DX. Your advice has been noted :-) :-) Thanks a lot :-)

Terje