Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
brianbailey1000

Epeorus/Pink Lady

Headin the Northeast corner of Yellowstone in 10 days. Tying like mad. A little confused about Epeorus, is this the same as a Pink Lady? I've tied some Pink Lady Comparduns via Blue Ribbon Flies and the body is a very distinct Cinnamon. The Epeorus superfine dubbing I have is much more like a pale yellow (PMD). Any help is much appreciated.

I've fished the hatch on the Madison, below Quake; had pretty good luck with Barr's Viz-a-Dun

IMG_3263.jpg

This one's tied with a Pink Lady biot, but I also tie them in light green; hit it one evening when they ignored the pink, picked up a few of the duns and saw that they were a pale green (one of the guides at Blue Ribbon confirmed they were epeorus). Make sure you have rusty spinners, too.

Regards,

Scott

I have had a lot of success fishing this emerger Epeorus pattern around $3.00 Bridge rather the dries. Epeorus emerge from their shuck below the surface, as adults and spend very little time in the surface film , drying their wings...

EpeorusEmerger-1-_zpsc329e108.jpg

Hook: TMC 2488 #16-#18

THREAD: Gordon Griffiths 14/0 Sheer, Olive

SHUCK: Crinkly, May fly brown Zelon

ABDOMEN: Olive Goose Biot, fringed

THORAX: Olive Zelon dubbing or, Olive hare’s ear #4 mixed with chopped Olive Antron

WING: Medium Dun Zelon, clipped short

OVER WING: Olive Partridge fibers,small bunch

PT/TB

Thanks for the suggestions. I love the $3 Dip in various colors using Crinkled Zelon. I want to clarify my original post, I was referring to the Dun stage, and wondering what color body is the Epeorus?

The body color of many species can vary considerably from stream to stream. The western PMD can be a cream olive, or a buff tan is some streams, and just over the hill, be a light cream with just a hint of pink. No one color will match every individual in the same species. Match the size, and tie a few with slight variations of the base color. I the cream olives (very light on the olive,) and just an almost Cahill tan. I tie them in size 16 and 18 for later in the year. I will be fishing a size 14 or 16 in about three weeks. For this trip, I will be fishing the cream olives, but I won't be in Yellowstone.

Check Craig Matthews tying vids for the dun patterns:

PS: I have watched people standing around for hours at $3.00 Bridge, waiting for this hatch to come off, and I mean standing on the banks and not fishing...and it didn't happen...have some Caddis patterns in thy box...

PT/TB

PS: I have watched people standing around for hours at $3.00 Bridge, waiting for this hatch to come off, and I mean standing on the banks and not fishing...and it didn't happen...have some Caddis patterns in thy box...

PT/TB

I've seen the hatch come off late in the evening (actually I couldn't see the bugs but the fish were up and feeding); like PT said, bring some caddis. A rusty spinner can work as a searching pattern, too, so you may want to consider that even if the fall's not happening yet.

Regards,

Scott