Fly Tying
Ebrant10

instagram

NEVER post anything you don't want to give away.

That goes for anywhere on the internet. Facebook, Instagram, Blogs, Forums, etc.

We're on Instagram. @flyfishfood

If you're not on instagram, you're missing out on some good content across the board. I think a lot of people prefer it over FB due to the lack of (mostly) political or whining type posts. Pure pics and you can filter to the major hashtags #flyfishing, #flytying

I've found myself to use Instagram most of the time due to the above stated issues! I just realized that flyfishfood, you've liked some of my flies that I have posted up on Instagram, thank you. @RO1OLC

So what's the point? To migrate everyone off the Flytying Forum and onto a different platform? Why? Doesn't this platform work anymore?

"New and different" is not the same as "better." All this amounts to is reinventing the wheel. It's still round and it still rolls....

If you're not on instagram, you're missing out on some good content across the board. I think a lot of people prefer it over FB due to the lack of (mostly) political or whining type posts. Pure pics and you can filter to the major hashtags #flyfishing, #flytying

I've found myself to use Instagram most of the time due to the above stated issues! I just realized that flyfishfood, you've liked some of my flies that I have posted up on Instagram, thank you. @RO1OLC

So what's the point? To migrate everyone off the Flytying Forum and onto a different platform? Why? Doesn't this platform work anymore?

"New and different" is not the same as "better." All this amounts to is reinventing the wheel. It's still round and it still rolls....

I think that forums will always have a place in the tying world, but social media is much more outreaching. I personally like to follow forums and social media to get my fix. Not better, just more.

NEVER post anything you don't want to give away.

That goes for anywhere on the internet. Facebook, Instagram, Blogs, Forums, etc.

Best Advice Ever!

for me personally I love the artistic aspect of the photos and the way it's set up, rather than look at political pots,how far you ran,oh the best tagging yourself in at the gym(on Facebook). I don't need it, most of the followers I have like the same things, not reinventing anything, it works better for me. Just like here same thing pictures,posts, and people liking the same thing bottom line

Yes PHG i am trying to get everyone to leave this website...seriousley, i love this site and the last thing im trying to do is make people leave. Not everyone is on FTF, do you limit yourself to only one kind of "wheel"? i personally like instagram, its not FTF and im not trying to replace FTF with it by anymeans i was just asking if anyone else used it ALSO.

Well, after reading all of this, at least I now know what it is. I am too computer stupid and too much of a recluse to try and enjoy all of the new toys that are available now. It has taken me years to even figure out how to barely play on the computer I am using right now. I like to walk along a river or walk through the woods or sit on my deck in the evening and listen to the crickets or watch the birds and the deer way too much to have a little plastic thingy in my hand all the time. I'm not knocking those of you that enjoy all of this socializing and knowing what everyone is doing or not doing, I'm just concerned that so many young folks are so caught up in this electronic frenzy that they are missing a lot of the beautiful things right in front of them. I have to admit that I do have a cell phone, but it is a prepaid one that might ring once or twice a week if one of my sons call me. I had one of the htc or something phones a while back but I didn't think it was as smart as everyone said so I did a scientific test with it. I pitted it against a hardwood floor and it lost the battle. If anyone should ever need to know, smart phones do bounce. I will go back to my cave now and carve some more on my new club and leave all the funky newfangled stuff to the hip ones out there in electronic gismo land...

Take Care and Happy Button Poking (opps!, you scroll the screen now I think)

Neanderthal Tony

Netabrookie, i have not owned a cell phone for over 10 years. I use instagram tho as there is some talent on there, i know what you are trying to say but it just isn't really true if you want to lump those who are technologically inclined saying we spend less time outdoors or have any less involvement/ enjoyment from it, it is just extra. This will blow your mind but i use an ipad for video calls, as a more powerful camera than my olympus and internet in a tiny little pad. It is just a computer with extra, nifty and quite simple really!

FlyFishin'Jam, as I said before, I'm not knocking or lumping anyone. I have seen an ipad and I have to agree that the camera feature was really awesome on the one that I was playing with. I am just tired of seeing so many people walking around like zombies while poking at their phones or devices. I have seen people sitting in a state park, surrounded by nature and beauty and all they could see was the little screen right in front of their face. If the reference to me working on my new club was taken as me wanting to use that club on an electronic device user then I am afraid I have been completely misunderstood. That was meant to give a hint or clue as to how primitive I can be. If I gave it a chance I might like some of the new things out there and I am sure they could enlighten or better educate me on some things that I am interested in, but on the other hand, while I am looking down at the little screen to view something then I would more than likely not get to see a doe getting a drink from a stream or notice a mink scurrying over a rock beside a waterfall...

Netabrookie, haha yes this is true, if you have your nose buried in a device while things are going on, be it water striders and their clockwork motions on a glassy inside pool or just real life then yeah it should be put away, same at dinner i think, or being with friends you should enjoy the time and just use the device if you must to play music.

I look at Instagram as another tool. It has had just as much as an impact as FTF has in my tying. I've found some local tyers/fishermen on there as well I didn't know about also. I've started following some of y'all since this post started. You can find me under briancrigler if interested.

Always kool, today i saw employees from abel and lamson posting their work! The abel guy was hand painting designs and the lamson guy was using a machine of some sort. Great stuff to get an inside look at their work.

if you try instagram can you delete it if its not really your thing?

is it only for iphone or droid?

Flytier:

You can delete your account at anytime, i have it on my droid and on ipad under instapad. So either or should work for you. The main thing to find people with your common interest is using hashtags, say you post a picture of a fly and in the description write whatever you like about the fly and then use a few hashtags such as #flytying #flyfishing they show up in the description and then you can click on the tag and it takes you to a page with all public pictures under that hashtag. Let is know if you get one. Good luck.

Evan