Fly Tying
JSzymczyk

baby boy, CONGRATULATIONS, I'm confused and mystified

British royal prince was born a few hours ago, Mom and baby are healthy and doing well, congrats to all, it's always good news to hear about a healthy baby.

Could someone PLEASE PLEASE explain to me why the US media has spent the last week and will likely spend the next week with 100% 24/7 coverage of this event??

I honestly don't mean to offend any of our British subject forum members, but our forefathers fought a bloody long war and forged a new nation specifically so we wouldn't have to pay this much attention to the British crown...???

One US reporter asked a British "expert" on tv a few minutes ago "what kind of upbringing will this baby have?" WHAT THE HELL KIND OF UPBRINGING DO YOU EXPECT HIM TO HAVE? He's a PRINCE you idiot!

I wish the family well, but I just don't get it.

Dude its the same here. They had people on Tele all day talking about how long labours can last as if this is the first child born for generations and we all forgot how it works. Don't think she'll be dropping him off at the local council nursery while she works her shift down the off license anytime soon.

Like many others here I'm with you. Its just something for the media to feed on. Yes I wanted to know, and am happy that everything is well. That is for me the end of the news around this. The rest is just media generated hype, that, frankly, bores the pants off me.

Cheers,

C.

The media blows everyting out of proportion. While we get to hear about the new prince, I guess there is nothing more important happening in the world. I am very happy for them because I know how exciting and important having a child is, but let them have some peace and tell us some actual news.

I find it a pleasant relief from the rehashing of the Zimmerman trial. Besides, it's a good diversion from the Benghazi, IRS and NSA scandals. Any shiny object will distract the American public.

I must re-evaluate my priorities....There's 2 Natural Color Rabbit Furs on the Kitchen Table. Along with a Gallon Size Freezer Bag full of the Neighbors German Shepard Hair. A Bag of Cheap Black Chicken Feathers. A Bag of Deer Tails. A gathering of Krystal Flash. A Coffee Grinder...

....I didn't even know She was Pregnant. Glad the Baby is Healthy!

Not to get too political ... but only the liberal media has focused on the British Baby Bonanza. Keeps them from having to face the real news.

glad the prince and mom are okay but thank god for channels like tvland so I can watch real tv like the Andy Grifth show you know the shows that teach you how to deal with modern problems like the kid taking your childs milk money

Paul, its a shame that shows now don't try and teach some values to young people. I know a lot of older people that need to watch a few episodes too. If you ever get to Virginia you have to look me up because I only live about a 20 minute ride from Mt. Airy, or aka Mayberry N.C. As soon as you cross the state line highway 52 turns into the Andy Griffith Pkwy.

There is so little news in this story the journalists have started interviewing each other. Enough already.

Cheers,

C.

Any shiny object will distract the American public.

Keeps them from having to face the real news.

right on

Don't think she'll be dropping him off at the local council nursery while she works her shift down the off license anytime soon.

Someone translate this into American for me... I'm guessing something like "free child care" and "welfare office"?

I don't even own a TV. I get far more done in life without one. Internet provides everything I need news wise. If I don't want to hear coverage of the baby, I don't click on the link. Going the internet route ensures that my news updates include the fly tying forum, XKCD, rod building tips, ski industry news, and the occasional cat video.

Don't think she'll be dropping him off at the local council nursery while she works her shift down the off license anytime soon.

Someone translate this into American for me... I'm guessing something like "free child care" and "welfare office"?

The local council nursery would be public day care and "off license" is a reference to a liquor store.

16hours a week worth of Free child care and an off license is(or used to be) a premise that could sell alcohol without being licensed to a brewery. So guess it would be a quickymart to use Simpsons as my American cultural learning aid.