Fly Tying
penderman

Naturals Reference

Hey all - I've been lurking for a little while now. I'm very impressed with the knowledge being shared in a variety of topics. Hopefully I can contribute soon.

I was wondering if you guys use photos of naturals as reference for tying your imitations. During the winter months here I'm finding it hard to remember the exacts for colouration etc. of the naturals.

If so where do you find your pics? Or do you take them yourself?

I have been looking around and found troutnut.com - that's a pretty sweet site. The pics are good content-wise but not so great in quality. Shooting underwater must have an impact on that though.. I'm looking more for emergers or adult mayflies/caddis.

Penderman

Penderman,

Yes, I do refer to naturals, both "pickled" specimens and photographs, when I want to truly match a specific bug. I used dividers and a micrometer to measure the length of tails, abdomens, wings, legs, height, and overall length - all recorded in a tying journal. Digital macro photography has been a help in recalling color and patterns. Yes, I know, a wee bit over the top.

Orvis has a Streamside Guide series of books that includes "Trout Foods and Their Imitations" by Tom Rosenbauer that is very good at matching flies and food. I have not seen the Angler’s Guide to Aquatic Insects and Their Imitations for North America by Rick Hafele and Scott Roederer, but have heard good reviews from other fly anglers. It is on my "books to get" list.

WYKnot

There are different ways of doing this.I would say the best way for me was to get a Borger Color System. You take this along with you fishing and catch a sample of what you want to ty. You hold the insect up to the different colors to find the right match then write this down. The colors are numbered so you just write the number down. This also comes with a measuring device, so you can get the poportions correct, wing length, tail lengh, body length, and thorax. It does come with tips and dirrections and when you buy dubbing some of them have the Borger Color number on them. Capturing samles and taking them to your tying bench is another way, but colors change quickly. This is why the color system works so well. Looking at pictures is not the best way but it can give you an idea. I hope i helped you. wink.gif Good Luck!

I like Troutnut too. Jason N., the owner and chief photog/naturalist is a member of this site.

I keep a few specimen jars with me to take home and try to make one example immediately while the colors are fresh. With minnow species this is often easier said than done because their colors fade so quickly. I like to take a good look at them while alive to try and imprint the memory of the colors and shading.

Bugs I catch specimens of, but I don't believe it is normally that important to match color exactly. I'm more concerned with size, movement and hue, in that order.

I have a Damselfly larvae that I caught (on my leg while wading!) 4 years ago. I scooped up lake water in the vial to keep it in and while it has lightened about 1 shade, it's intact otherwise. I did finally buy some preservative though.

Other than that I just check the net for pictures and print them. Once I get the basic structure of the bug down I can always vary the colors.

I've been collecting aquatic insects in test tubes filled with bug-embalming fluid, sold at fly shops. High quality photo's really help alot especially for coloration and fine detail and I cant wait to get some macro shots this year. I just found this web site which has a pretty good assortment of photo's.

Insects for feeding trout

Graham

Wow, some of you guys have a pretty detailed approach to this - thanks for the response! I find I'm more into tying up impressionistic flies rather than exact imitations - but I've been trying to find some photos to help with proportions/colour etc...

Tommy - I've read a bit about the borger system. Do you write everything down or do you take a photo of the match along with the measurement? I always take bugs home with me - just not intentionally. My wife will ask me who my new friend is and often pick something off my shoulder or hat when I get in wink.gif

Thanks for the link Graham... I found another one today with some cool bug pictures:

Hipwader Bug Pics - They seem to have some amazing bug pics; worth checking out.

Does anyone else have some cool picture links?

- penderman

That's a nice gallery Shaq - having named references for each insect is good...

I noticed the Hipwader site put another set of pictures up that are pretty sweet again.

Hipwader Bugs - some of the best I've seen.

Thanks for all the replies!

Penderman