Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mainbutter

Kodiak silver/pink/chum flies?

Long story short: Kodiak Island, this August 20, never fly fished for anything except LMB/pike/sunfish in the midwest.

I have a 9wt 9' TFO signature II and WFF line. I am hoping to get my first salmon on a fly if I can find some that are running, but I have no idea what species will be running the day or two that I will have to fish. I'm hoping silvers, pinks, or chum will be running as I have had the best luck getting them to hit artificials on spinning gear.

Any suggestions on flies that I should bring along or how to fish 'em? Google hasn't been very friendly trying to find information about fly fishing Kodiak, most of the guided fishing websites I come across say "Fly fishermen must bring their own gear".

Fished the Karluk for steelhead several years in the 90s. There were silvers in the river also. Took most of the fish on combinations of cherise and chatruese colors tied on #6 and 8 hooks. Many of the traditional western steelhead flies also worked. But we found the largest producers were the color combinations mentioned above.

Sorry, I just saw this, or I'd have replied before you came. How'd you do?

Pink was good for me this year. Some years it's chartreuse, some years purple, etc. This year I had numerous fish hit on the first cast after tying on pink. It was my go-to for silvers. Next year, who knows....