Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Fishing revenge

I think this is a really good question in that it is actually asking (or at least implying) a larger question: what are we looking for when we go fishing, and why? Are we looking for recreation, stress relief, competition, self-validation? The answer to that question (different for each of us, surely) would likely teach us something about why we think, feel and act the way we do "out there". Or, to paraphrase Norman Maclean, the response we make to character on any given day depends largely on the response fish make to character...

I believe that we go through cycles. Fly-fishing...catching many fish....catching that big fish.....tying flies.....catching fish on our own flies.....enjoying the breeze whether we catch fish or not......absolute dominance over all water....I am currently in the latter stage. ;-)

Pond fishing with all the trees and weeds is a different story altogether and I think I have been on the verge of having a stroke a few times.....

I had a hit where a fish grabbed the streamer I was using and TOOK OFF with it! I, of course, had allowed a bunch of slack to fall at my feet, and by the time I got to the mainline the fish was gone. I think I fet a blood vessel behind my eye grow by a few milimeters, and of course there was no other strike like that all day.

That first take after a long stretch of starting, and not getting a single hit for a long time is what keeps us coming back.

Missing a strike or losing a good fish after a good fight is dissapointing, but dosent get me to upset. Losing a fish within the first five seconds however happens way to much and does upset me, especilly when its a big fish that I know no will be spooked.

Also, bait fishermen that keep there catch. Bait is ileagal here, as is keeping your catch, but it happens all the time on my local rivers.

DF4L, there is a creek near me that I fish a lot and it is an artificial lure delayed harvest stream most of the year but I see guys taking trout and using bait a lot there. So, after you got me thinking about it, that does tend to tick me off. The creek is part of a state park that has an old railroad bed converted to a trail and you see a lot of hikers and bikers. I was talking with one of the park employee's last year and he was bragging about the 24" rainbow that he caught and took to the taxidermist about a week before our brief chat. Normally that wouldn't be a bad thing to do except it was in November and that was in the delayed harvest time. I don't bother to try to report anything that I see because there is little if any cell signal and by the time a park ranger (excuse me, I think they want to be referred to as conservation police now) arrived the trout bandits would either be long gone or just ditch their fish. Its a common practice for some of the low life's at a local fee fishing area to catch their limit and gut the trout and then stick them in a bag and weight it with a rock under the water. Now they just continue to fish and catch more and do the same until their greed limit is full and then backtrack and retrieve their bags. If a vehicle approaches they just drop the bags and now just have a stringer with a limit if six. That ticks me off also...

DF4L, where do you live that you can't keep fish?

Blane

On Vancouver Island, canada. Daily limit for wild trout/char from streams is 0.

Most people I think dont even read the regulations, the just grab some worms and go fishin', then they catch something and take it home to eat it, completley unaware of limits and restrictions. It also dosent help that notice boards and posters that are up to date are almost non exsistant on most rivers. On my home river, the puntledge, notice boards can be found throughout the forest, but the boards are probably 20 years old and the regulations are completley out of date.

I don't fish a lot and I am not to good at and don't catch a lot of fish, never anything big. But to me is is being out on the creek or river that matters. when quietly fishing I have seen muskrat beaver and all kinds of birds

You are right KOKOEK9, I think we got a little side tracked. To see a muskrat or a mink or a beaver makes you forget all about the fish you just missed. To get to see deer crossing the creek is just as exciting as landing a fish, well, it depends on how big of a fish...I just don't like to be so quiet that a bear doesn't realize I'm in the creek only a few feet away from where it intends on getting a drink. To ease around a bend in a creek and a heron not notice you for a while is quite a thrill too. Even if the traffic on the way to the water gets on your nerves and you break off on a big fish you have to forget all of that when you open your eyes and your heart and take in all that nature has to offer.

Lately I have wanted to fish new out of the way places. Hiked into DuPont Forest a couple of weeks ago. Hiked up Courthouse Falls Creek. Never fished either place. The color of the fish, the clarity of the water, my dog and fishing companion. After a hard week at work it restores my soul.

Lately I have wanted to fish new out of the way places. Hiked into DuPont Forest a couple of weeks ago. Hiked up Courthouse Falls Creek. Never fished either place. The color of the fish, the clarity of the water, my dog and fishing companion. After a hard week at work it restores my soul.

I remember that stage, and I feel it coming on again! A friend of mine used to love to go with me because she's a hiker, and would explore while I fished. She's been on me for a few years to start exploring again, but my work and school schedule kept me exhausted. I've recently started getting the bug to explore again.

This is why you don't get upset. When your 10 year old schools you on a farm pond and trash talks you at the same time. It means I've taught him something that will last the rest of his life and whether I have a good day or bad day fishing is completely irrelevant. 0C6E1284-3E31-4E05-AF19-5EA4C30DE8E7-110

Now see, that's why I don't fish with kids; they always out fish every adult in the vicinity, lol!! It's good to hear a dad doing right by his son though, good stuff!