Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

AUGUST flies from the VICE

Jam, I'm sure you could argue that J.T. has gained from your crediting him than he has lost in you tying them.

I'm sure though, to tie a weighted Teeny nymph requires 3 materials plus the hook.

Cheers,

C.

Jam, I'm sure you could argue that J.T. has gained from your crediting him than he has lost in you tying them.

I'm sure though, to tie a weighted Teeny nymph requires 3 materials plus the hook.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks, i do think so as a story i read about him presenting pretty flies to his own father and him saying 'not ugly enough', where this pattern came from, right..i counted 0.015 leadfree wire and thread as 'hardware' the only material being pheasant tail to tie the fly. Anyway i am sure you know.

Here we have a legal definition. We would be permitted to use lead as the weight, so long as it is "Incorporated as part of the dressing of a fly". That puts weight firmly in the realm of a material. Not counting thread would mean flies consisting only of thread are zero material flies, which is ridiculous.

Got to stand by 3.

Cheers,

C.

Here's my newest YouTube fly tying tutorial, called TC's Caddis Pupa. I highlight what I believe to be some of the more important characteristics of the pupa, and give suggestions for materials to use when attempting to represent those areas. I also show a slick technique to use when placing cdc in a dubbing loop (versus buying a higher-priced tool).

Hope all of you enjoy!

TC

Oooo shit, pardon my language but patent!? I did not realize, this means i should be not tying it without his say so? Or is that just for sale? Like he has the business rights?

The patent has long since expired. I remember having some of his flies from the '70s, that had a little plastic piece, tied on to the fly, with the patent number.

I had to get into these kinds of patterns eventually! Getting ready for some autumn-trout action in a couple of weeks and this was the result

post-35895-0-87231000-1376854004_thumb.jpg

post-35895-0-07591600-1376854011_thumb.jpg

Not a fly, I know, but there's gonna be a ton of them come from this lol. Managed to score this deer hide, for completely free :D

DSCF0094_zpsf5b0b7e4.jpg

You lucky lucky guy. Should have some great colours and shades with that. The white should take a lovely dye too.

They should entice something. Using fish foils or have you made your own? I thought about using my own with UV resin top coat.

Those are from Deer Creek, Colin. The smaller ones are ideal, but I only had 4 left. Just before someone points it out, I haven't put them on upside down. The hooks are weighted to fish point up.

Cheers,

C.