Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

AUGUST flies from the VICE

Yeah should be a great night with all the heat today. Im stuck covering for someone at work so another day gone but I also heard lots of small seatrout in Ferry at the mo.

With tube flies like those, ChefBen ... do they spin when pulling them through the water? If the hook isn't attached to the fly, it can't be a "keel" or ballast to make the fly ride one side up all the time.

How's that work?

Mike,

To answer for Ben, It is normal to put a piece of silicone tubing on the back of the tube. Once the line is threaded through and the hook tied on, the eye of the hook is pulled into the silicone tube. This gives enough grip that the tube will not spin, but still ride up the leader while playing a fish.

Cheers,

C.

That's why its important to try to match the right hook size (or should really say wire weight) to the tube so it swims right. The best tube/hook combos swim horizontal or as near as.

Mike..

Crackaig and Piker are correct. You can only see the "hard tube" in most pictures. The silicone tube is in there to hold the hook eye.

How long are those Ben?

The green/yellow one is a big fly. Probably around 12". I believe they sell flies like these specifically for Mako's called Trimble Shark flies. The yellow/gray on is smaller, around 8" or so.

How long are those Ben?

The green/yellow one is a big fly. Probably around 12". I believe they sell flies like these specifically for Mako's called Trimble Shark flies. The yellow/gray on is smaller, around 8" or so.

Nice, I think that would be a good size from what I've read.

Hey Chef, what material is that? I see its crinkly. Is it one of the EP fibers? I really like them.

Jeremy