Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bryan_w

3wt fly rod for a youngster?

My seven year old son loves to use my fly rod but has not mastered casting yet. He is wanting his own rod. Should I be looking at smaller weight and shorter rods for him or just the opposite. He is still a little young to really learn how to properly cast but that will not keep him from catching bream and small bass with spiders and ants on top of the water. What would you experts suggest? I have been fly fishing for 25 years and just recently started tying my own flies. He loves to create his own flies and fish them. Thanks for your help.

My 5year old can roll out a #7 line quite well but the 10ft rod is far too long. A 7or8ft rod is more suitable. I would over rate the rod if its proper overhead casts he wants to get into so he can feel it load quicker.

I would go with a short 7 to 8 foot rod for a 6 or 7 weight line. I would also overline the rod by one size. The heavier line will load the rod with less line out, and the shorter rods would be less effort to control.

Based on my experience working with Cub Scouts, I would say a 7' or 7'6" 3wt or 4wt should be OK. Modern light weight graphite rods in shorter lengths are easier for kids to handle, but I would avoid anything shorter than 7'. The timing of a good cast on a really short rod is too tricky. A 4wt can handle panfish and 1 pound bass with no problem.

You only need a heavier rod if you are going to be throwing large, wind resistant, or heavily weighted flies. (Clousers, large poppers, etc.)

Thanks to all who chimed in. I found a few youth rods for sale that go along with what you are saying. I want to teach him the correct technique but was not sure how I was going to get him to feel the load of the rod and how important this is. I think moving up one line size will really help with this.

Thanks again. I am always impressed with the knowledge shared on this forum. Everyone seems to be really helpful.