Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CaddiChucker

Best Realistics used for Trout Fishing?-Better than standard pattern?

So, does anyone have better luck with realistics over standard trout (or other) patterns? I was thinking the realistics, if you use them for fishing, might get an 'older' more wiser trout, so larger fish, on average, or once in a while anyway. Any better luck?

What is the advantage of using a realistic over standard pattern, if any?

If you are talking realistic like Fred H and Cordoba Sergio and others tie then often the process of tying them is not designed for actual fishing and the materials are not always very durable. They are more like artworks to be displayed and drooled over.

If you are talking about dry flies or nymphs that mimic a real insect then I think trying to match the overall size and shape and colour of the real thing can only help you trick the fish. But then there are the fish that ignore all that and then leap on the most unlikely fly in the box. Thats the joy of fishing.

If you are talking realistic like Fred H and Cordoba Sergio and others tie then often the process of tying them is not designed for actual fishing and the materials are not always very durable. They are more like artworks to be displayed and drooled over.

If you are talking about dry flies or nymphs that mimic a real insect then I think trying to match the overall size and shape and colour of the real thing can only help you trick the fish. But then there are the fish that ignore all that and then leap on the most unlikely fly in the box. Thats the joy of fishing.

Like when they go after the strike indicators that are supporting a perfectly tied nymph.

Like when they go after the strike indicators that are supporting a perfectly tied nymph.

They might resemble fish eggs?

I do fish my realistic flies. I have fished my caddis pattern and midge nymph pattern sucessfully for trout. I tie realistic flies out of thread ,deer hair and monofilament . The dry flies float high ; I add lead or omit the deer hair for aquatic nymph patterns. My flies are durable and will lasts multiple fishing trips. The time I spend tying this type of fly pays out in the long run by out performing standard flys with weaker materials and nondescript features. It's ok to buy a fly from me and put it under glass but it was tied to be fished and it will perform like it should.

Please don't put me in a catagory with those that tie nymps using foam and flies too delicate that they cant be fished.

But to answer Caddichucker"s question direct. I'm not sure anyone can say for certain that one fly will work better than another , but if tied well a realistic gives you another option that the fishermen ahead of you may not have thrown. If you like I can show you a step by step of the two trout patterns I have had good sucess with. Just drop me a PM.

Fred

I have had success with some of my realistic patterns the adult mayfly in particular. had a huge bass take an adult damselfly but lost it and the fish in a weed bed.down.gif

Mike